The Prince and the Slave Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen 

Isabelle didn't know what to make of her new mistress over the following week. She had been sold into slavery when her parents had died just a few years earlier, and hadn't had many Masters. She had spent most of her time in slave houses, and this was the first permanent owner she had been sold to.

So far, she had barely been allowed to leave her Mistress's side. She went with her wherever she went, sat beside her chair during meals and slept on her floor at night. The Princess had beaten her a few times, but no worse than Atchiko had previously, so she felt no need to complain. And even if she did – who would she complain to?

She didn't see much of the Prince, he seemed to keep his distance from her Mistress, and only spoke a few sharp words to her when they were seated in the dining room. She had seen him a two or three times when Lady Georgiana took a stroll through the gardens, Isabelle following behind with a drink and a fan in case she got to hot or tired. She wondered where the Prince's personal slave was, she had been mentioned many times, both by the Prince and her Mistress, but she had never seen her. This made her wonder if the Prince was really as kind and caring as he had seemed in the slave house – what if he kept her locked up somewhere in the Castle all day?

She had seen the Prince walking along a few times, usually with another girl, about the same age as him. At first she had wondered if they were perhaps engaged – they seemed very close, always laughing and smiling – but the girl wasn't dressed grandly enough to be a Princess or a Lady. Perhaps she is his royal advisor, or the daughter of someone in the court? She thought to herself.

There was one particular time she had seen them walking through the gardens, she still following behind her Mistress. Only today they weren't laughing or smiling, they seemed to be having a heated discussion, the Prince was very agitated while his friend was trying to calm him down. They stopped in the middle of the path they were walking on stood facing each other, still talking tensely.

The Prince looked over and saw her staring, before turning back to his companion and gesturing towards her, getting more worked up as he went.

“What are you doing?” She heard her Mistress call, and turned around to see her striding towards her, her face like thunder. Isabelle hadn't realised she had stopped as her Mistress carried on, and quickly bowed on the floor.

“Forgive me, Mistress. I didn't mean to-” She started to apologise.

“Get up.” Her Mistress ordered, rolling her eyes. Isabelle scurried to her feet as fast as she could. As soon as she was stood she felt the sharp sting as the Princess slapped her across the face. “It's rude to stare”.

The young slave watched out of the corner of her eye as the Prince suddenly jolted forward, as if to run over to them, his face full of anger. She watched as his companion grabbed hold of his arms and pulled him back to face her, putting her hands on either side of face when he wouldn't look at her and saying soothing words to him.

She didn't get the chance to see what else happened as her Mistress set off again down the path they were following, Isabelle trailing behind her.

“William – William!” She shouted in a warning tone, grabbing his arms and pulling him back to face her. “Leave it, William! Trust me-” She said, holding his face so he had to look at her. “Leave it. You'll only make it worse” She said softly, hoping to calm him down.

William felt some of his anger start to melt away as he looked into Abey's pleading eyes. He sighed and hung his head as Abey rubbed the top of his arms soothingly.

“I know. I know” She comforted him.

“I just get so...” He looked up the sky in frustration as Abey dropped her hands back to her sides. “When I see her do things like that. And that poor girl, like I said she had new bruises today that weren't there yesterday.” He said, starting to pace along the width of the path like a lion in a cage.