The Prince and the Slave Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

They walked for a while in silence. William trying to calm himself down, while Abey tried to process what had just happened.

Her old Master, Atchiko, had hit her for being insolent. That was nothing new, she had lived with worse beatings for years under his ownership. But the Prince, walking next her like there were no differences between them, had defended her. By rights he should have hit her first, she was his slave and she hadn't done as her master had asked. She couldn't understand why he was treating her like this. He'd even called her a person. He cared for her. She scolded herself internally. Remember last time, she told herself, Don't let it happen again...

“How's your face?” William suddenly asked.

All of the Prince's anger had gone, and now he was just full of concern for the girl at his side. He knew staying was a mistake, and he just hoped she hadn't suffered too much for it.

“It's fine, sir. I've had worse” She turned and gave him a smile, which he returned, then faced forward and frowned.

“May I ask you to do something for me?”

“Of course, sir”

“When we're alone, will you not call me 'Sir'?”

“What do you mean?”

“When it's just us, will you call me William?” He looked at her hopefully to see her eyes widen once more. She never thought she's be asked to call a Master by their first name, let alone the Crown Prince!

“I...Of course, si- I mean...William” She smiled at the novel way the word felt on her tongue, while William felt a strange exhilaration at hearing her speak his name. “It feels strange calling you that. I don't even know if anyone does call you that, other than your family.” Abey said with a small frown.

“Well that's because they don't.” He turned to look at her. “You're the first person I've ever asked to use my name.”

“But why? I'm just a-”

“Don't you dare say 'slave'. You're more than just that, you know that.” He pointed an accusatory finger at her and gave her his best 'matronly' look. He'd hoped it would make her laugh but instead she just looked down and sighed quietly to herself.

At that moment William realised just how damaged this girl really was. She honestly didn't know she was a person, that she was worth something. She thought she worse than dirt beneath her feet. She'd never had anyone care for her. Until now.

And William did care for her. More than he would like to admit. He felt drawn to her, not just because he wanted to protect her, there was something else. Something he couldn't put his finger on...

They continued the walk to the Castle in silence. William was pleased to note that Abey looked a lot happier by the time they arrived home.

That evening, as they were both about to go to sleep, he sat up and whispered over to her. “You're very special, Abey. Don't forget that.”

She didn't sit up but he heard her reply from her corner of the room. “I'll try. Good night...William”

That night, both the Prince and the slave fell asleep with a small smile playing on their lips.