The Prince and the Slave Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two 

William woke in the morning hoping to find Abey still sleeping peacefully next to him, but as usual he found her bustling about, probably up since dawn. She couldn't stay with me for one morning! He shook his head and sighed fondly at her as he watched her working, resting his hands behind his head.

It was the beginning of thunderstorm season in Angrakor, and so Abey had spent the last few nights sleeping in William's bed with him. She was still terrified by the storms, and stayed curled up in a tight ball as she slept, William fitting his body with hers and wrapping his arms around her protectively. She felt safe being held like that during the raging tempests, and truth be told, often wished that she didn't have to move when the morning came. Sometimes she would roll over to face the Prince and watch him sleep a while before she got up herself, drinking in his handsome features. But she always rose before he awoke properly – she had jobs to do, and besides, it wasn't proper for a girl like her to be that close to a man like him. She knew her place and she would stick to it.

She turned to face the bed and saw William watching her, who then immediately closed his eyes and pretended to still be asleep when she caught him staring.

“Oh no you don't” She said, going over to him and dragging him up into a sitting position. “I know you're awake so you can get up now. Besides, you have a long day ahead of you, tonight's a big night!”

William simply groaned and flopped back down onto the pillows. He wasn't looking forward to the day at all.

Abey had been right when she had said he would have a long day, and as he prepared himself that evening, he could see the end was no where near in sight.

Tonight was one of his Mother's regular 'small soirées', which in actual fact meant a very large ball, which he was expected to attend. The prospect was made all the worse by the fact that he knew his Mother was going to try and force various eligible young ladies on him, something he didn't exactly relish – none of them would ever compare to his love – in the hope of him finding his future Queen.

He didn't dare tell his Mother or Father that he thought he had already found her, and that she was currently standing just a few feet away from him, changing into her formal clothes behind the screen.

As it was such a big event, nearly all staff had to be utilised – including personal slaves – which meant Abey would be present in the ballroom all night, serving drinks and such; William felt happier at the thought of her being there. Maybe we'll be able to sneak away at some point without anyone noticing. He planned in his head. Or if not, at least I'll have someone to talk to other than boring aristocrats.

He was facing the mirror, busy trying to get his crown and hair to stay in the same place on his head when Abey emerged, laughing as she came up behind him.

“Having a bit of trouble, Your Highness?” Her reflection in the mirror grinned at him. William felt the grimace leave his face and be replaced by a smile as he turned round to face her.

“Not at all!” He said brightly, just as the crown slid to the side and a chunk of hair fell into his eye. Abey laughed again and took the crown off his head, pushing his hair back and replacing it again, only somehow now magically firm in place. “How did you do that?” He asked in amazement.

“Magic.” She replied with another grin. “You really should get that hair cut though. I'll keep saying it until you do” She shook her finger at him as she walked over to the door. “Now, are you ready, Your Highness?” She said dramatically, opening the door and bowing exaggeratedly.

William sighed and took a deep breath, as if preparing himself for battle. “Not really but I suppose I have to” He said walking over to Abey.

“You look beautiful by the way” He told her, both of them pausing to smile at each other, before taking her hand and leading her down the stairs.