Part 28

"Hey," he said turning his face to Mello.

"Are you alright?" He asked tilting his head to the side a little,blinking slowly at him.

"Yeah, what about you?" he half-lied. He had been smoking way too much lately but didn't want to worry Mello.

He frowned a little. "You were coughing ,that can't be a good sign. How much you been smoking lately?" He pressed on ignoring Matt's question.

"... I really, uhh, a little more than before." A little more? He smoked a full pack of cigarettes more by a week. Usually he needed only one pack for a week. Now it was getting slowly to three packs.

His eyes narrowed. "Matt...how much is 'a little' exactly?" He said in a serious concerned tone.

".... Twice as much as before.... But it really is okay-" he was cut off and coughed softly, brought the cigarette back to his lips and filled his lungs with smoke.

Mello reached out one arm and grabbed his hand holding the cigarette and pulled it away from his mouth. "Stop! You're gonna fucking kill yourself at this rate!" He exclaimed. It was easy to tell that Mello was so afraid to lose Matt.

He coughed suprised and automatically reached to get it back. "It's alright! Just give it back, let me smoke it."

"NO!" He shouted and threw it to the floor. Before Matt had the chance to get it back the blonde crushed it with one foot. "I can't let you go on like this. You're only gonna get worse. You HAVE to cut down Matt." his tone was angry but a note of worry was detected within it.

"It's only a few cigarettes..." he started, but soon realized it didn't matter. They both knew it was poisoning and they both knew Matt was slowly destroying himself inside. Yet, the gamer wasn't ready to admit it.

Mello rolled his eyes and spat on the floor. "It's not though is it? And you fucking know it Matt. A few cigarettes? A few!? I think its a bit more than that don't you?" He snapped and then sighed sadly. He looked away from him and tried to calm down.

"Fine, I'll try to smoke less!" he sighed, turned around and walked back in. He knew Mello was just worried, but talking about his smoking or playing games was like telling Mello to stop eating chocolate.

A flash of hurt crossed his face at his sudden tone of voice and action and he sat down on the steps. He stared at the floor and eventually began to rain. But Mello didn't care at the fact that he was getting wet.

He bit his lip hearing the rain and knowing Mello wasn't getting in. He felt like an idiot.
'Don't you dare to fucking run away, coward.'
Then he remembered Mello's cuts and mentally hit himself, got a jacket for Mello and an umbrella and opened the door silenty. He walked back to Mello, put the jacket over him, sat next to him and hugged him under the umbrella. "... I'm sorry."

Mello rested his head on his chest ,close to the shoulder. He pressed himself close to him,glad that he had come back. "I know." he murmured quietly, shutting his eyes for a moment. "But please try understand.. I don't want to lose you..." He added,his voice sad.

"You won't lose me. I'm always here. Just don't forget me." He smiled softly, happy that Mello didn't push him away.

He looked up at him. "How can I? There is no way I ever could." he said softly.

"Just remember that I love you." He held Mello as it started to rain heavily. It was alright. The blonde was there with him. It almost seemed like they had no secrets between them anymore.

"Always." he whispered and then fell silent,just listening to the rain and Matt's heartbeat. He hoped he would always hear it.

Matt smiled softly and closed his eyes. Of course Mello worried. The redhead thought such a thing like this wasn't enough to make his own stupidness up.

He sighed softly and closed his eyes again. Just as long as Matt was by his side he would be okay. He needed him to help him but not only that. He loved him too much.

He leaned down to kiss his wet head. Matt loved him as well and was scared he would never show it enough.

"I love you..." He said quietly,keeping his eyes closed. The skies were dull now and the rain continued to fall. It was cold but Mello didn't care.

"I love you too. Now let's go inside, you'll get sick." He mumbled.

He nodded slightly, opening his eyes. "Okay" he answered.

He stood up and pulled Mello with him, and started to walk inside, making sure the umbrella was over the blonde instead of him.

Mello huddled close to him. Yet again when walking, he winced. Hopefully Matt wouldn't notice though.

He didn't, he was too focused to not slip: the floor was wet. He then looked at Mello again. "You didn't answer me before, are you okay?"

"I'm fine." he mumbled not looking directly at him and winced painfully again. He almost slipped.

He grabbed his arm and pulled him next to him. "It doesn't look like it. Are you hurt?"

He hesitated and then huffed. "Its nothing." he shrugged it off like it was no big deal. He didn't think it mattered.