Chapter 14

This was not real. Now everything makes sense! My mom, my mom, my friends, the professor, the notebook! This was just too much of a happy life. This was fake. It made a replica of my life but put in what I always wanted. It took out all the negatives! Which was why I couldn't remember about myself writing in the notebook or this attic.

A flash happened and I was in a world of black. There was a road in front of me. I walked towards it slowly. Something made me want to look back or go back.

But in the back of my head, there was a voice that said, don't look back. I decided to stay smart and follow the voice in the back of my head.

I walked right in front of the white gleaning door and put my hand in the cold metal knob.

I was about to turn back when I heard whispers behind me. "Mmmmssshhhh," was all I heard. People? But I had a bad feeling about it.

I heard Truth's voice, "Zodiac!" I flinched. "Don't leave me! Where are you going?"

My eye twitched, "who are you?" Her voice turned raspy, "wh-what do you mean? I'm me!" I gripped the knob tightly. "Why would you tell me to cone back then?"
"I can't get out yet!"

"I have one question for you then... when did we first meet?

She scoffed, "are you kidding me? Of course I know, one day before school started at night when you almost crashing into me on your skateboard."

I opened the door and left. My eyes were blind from the light. I arrived back in the 2nd floor hallway. I saw Devin and Truth there already.

"You guys went through that replica thing mi jig?" They both nodded. Devin cleared his throat, "we're waiting on the others."

We stayed silent until 10 minutes later, Zach came through the wall we all did earlier. Then Troy did.

And right after, Mag came through but only half her body. "HEEELLPP! HEEEELLPPP!" She screamed, stretching one hand out to us.

Even we could tell she was being pulled back. "What happened!" Truth screamed. All of us rushed to help pull her.

Tears streamed down her face, "I-I looked back." Before we couldn't see her full face but only half of it. But then she turned and we gasped. I stumbled backwards with my grip still on her arm.

Her face was half burnt. Troy started crying without noticing. I didn't ask why though. I think I already knew why.

"AAAAAHHH!" She yelped. "I-I'm sorry," she cried.

We did a big pull and got her out. Her legs were full of hand marks and bruises. I could tell she was being gripped tightly.

Troy went ahead and hugged her before Zach could. He was frozen. She didn't want to talk about it.

We just sat there in silence as if we were at a funeral, which I could relate to from my grandma.

The announcement came back on, "10 hours have passed, only 20 hours are left." It ended shortly. The voice was obviously from a voice changer. So it didn't help. I realized the class disappearance was my imagination after that announcement.

     Wait. 10 hours?!? Zach came back and had a confused look, "10 hours have passed already!?"

     "Dang... we really need to catch up our pace." I sighed. "This is crap."

     Zach sighed, "I have something to confess." This got all of our attention. "I'm a Treasurer too." We all stumbled back, we were all shock, even Truth despite being one herself.

     I guided my hand through my hair, "now that I think about it. How come you couldn't just use your powers to help Mag earlier?"

     They looked sort of awkward. Truth started playing with her fingers, "well, something was blocking or, or shall I say, someone." Zach nodded silently.

     I just sat there quietly and thought about the notebook. "Zach, I have to talk to you in private." Zach nodded. "We'll just be in the room across Devin." Pointing across.

     I opened the door as it creaked slightly. "Cccccrrrrrkkkkk." Then closing it.

     I crossed my arms, "how do you and my dad know each other?" Zach scoffed, "I don't know him." I shook my head. "Yes you do, I overheard you guys talking when I was 5!"

     Zach was shocked as I could see his silent gasp and tripped a little when I said that. "Ho-how did you know?" I tapped my foot, "as I said, I overheard."

     Zach sat down and sighed, "my father was his helper or Treasurer and your dad told me to protect and watch over you."

     I eyed him, "so was that friendship fake?" His eyes widened, his hazel eyes grew. "NO! It never was!" He seemed so desperate.

     I could see he was telling the truth. "I believe you." He put his head down. "Thank God." He muttered. We exited the room and found Mag without any burns, marks, or bruises.

     Truth smiled, "I fixed her up a bit." I hugged her tightly. I did not want to lose her. "I've been meaning to ask but, do all Treasurers have the same powers?"

     Truth shrugged, "yeah but the quality like how much is put into it, how effective, depends on your willpower."

     Mag spoke up, "I don't think we should be wasting time just sitting around." We all agreed and ended up in the broadcasting news room.

     We were all reading articles in books, magazines, practically anything we could find. Except me, I started to draw a picture of a little boy sitting in between 2 roads. One road led to a black door and white light. While the other led to a white door in the dark.

     "What are you drawing?" Truth asked me. I bit my lip, "me." I replied softly.