Chapter 16

"aaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!" I roared. My brown contacts dissolved into thin air and my red eyes took over. I stuck my hands out both ways, holding both walls, halting it.

We were teleported out on 3rd floor hallway. Truth looked up at me, "Zodiac? What are you?" I eyed her, "I think you guys know already." My eyes settled down back into a deep red.

Everyone stared at me. Zach stumbled, "he's the 13th zodiac. And I'm his Treasurer." Devin smirked, "that's great! You can help us dear humans!" Troy agreed.

Truth squeezed me tightly, "that's so cool." She smiled. Mag waved her hand around, "I'm fine with whatever." I grinned, "guess I don't need those contacts anymore."

The announcement came on in a monotone voice, "4 hours left."

"Had it really been like a day and a half already?" I asked. Truth shrugged.

The first time I met Zach was in middle school. I came to class late all beat up. I had black and purple bruises on my face and was feeling frustrated that day.

I went towards the back of the class and kicked my legs onto the desk, putting my oversized, ripped up, black hoodie over me and went to sleep. Coincidentally, Zach was next to me.

Zach nudged me, "hey - hey... ZODIAC! WAKE UP!" I woke up with a start, "wh-what?"

He pointed towards the door, "class is over." I slid my legs back down. "It's lunch time." He said.

We walked down towards the cafeteria. I looked at the food hungrily and checked my pockets for change. Zach entered, getting in line. It was empty, my pockets.

I frowned slightly and left to the roof. I laid down on the cold cemented ground, looking up at the sky. "Life...... why you got to be so cruel?" I muttered. The sky was so blue that day, I thought it was the ocean. It was a cloudless sky. I closed my eyes. My eyelashes gently fell to my face.

I heard the roof door slam opened then closed. I groaned, "go away," I waved away.

A brown haired boy with hazel eyes stood above me, extending his hand. "Hi, I'm Zach. You must be Zodiac." I turned the other way.

He bent over to look at me, "HEY! Don't look away!" I groaned, sitting up, then ruffled my hair from my awakening.

Zach bit an apple, "you know we've met before when we were about 5." My mind flashed to my dad and a little boy talking. I leaned forwards, "is that so?" Raising a curious eyebrow at him.

Zach threw me a red apple, "yep, I've been intrigued by you ever since." I caught the apple. Looking at him then the apple. "Do you want me to bring more food next time?" I smiled weakly, "no, just bring an apple every time. I wouldn't ask for more." I bit into the apple.

"I like it." Zach said. We both stared at the sky, "like what?" I asked. "Your name, it feels like you belong in the sky." He said. I took another bite in the apple, munching it. "Crunch, crunch." My eyes wandered off, "yeah, me too, very far away."

He didn't question what I meant and just continued sitting in silence and staring at the sky while eating our apple.

Somewhere along the way, we fell asleep and woke up around 10 at night, sneaking out and saying our goodbyes.

Ever since then we hung out on the roof during lunch, talk, stare at the sky, and eat an apple.

The sky somehow became brighter each time. Or was it just me?

The ground rumbled, everything shook, making us slide and shake wildly. Devin reached the stairs, "guys! The 2nd floor is crashing!"

We all ran over quickly, watching it crash down into space. The stairs just led to the sky now, so high up, the clouds became like dots.

We fall, we crash, we die. Simple as that. Looking down made me feel like I'd fall to my death. I quickly pulled away.

Troy had a worried look, his forehead started sweating a bit. "Guys, we're running out of time! We need to find a way out. QUICK!" I had to agree with Troy. "I mean like we only have one more floor to explore." I said. Devin rubbed his chin, "let's just split in two's."

Mag nodded, "I mean it's just one floor." Truth shrugged, "I guess." Troy nodded along. Zach put his hands up, "whatever." I groaned, "I guess so."

Devin pointed to Zach, "you and me. Troy and Mag. And errr, Truth with Zodiac."

I patted him on the back, "at least try to sound enthusiastic." He half smiled at me. "We'll go north. Troy and Mag will go west. And Truth and Zodiac go east." Devin put his hand out, "agreed?"

We all put our hands on the top of his. "Agreed!" We shouted as we raised it up.

We strolled along. We entered a dark classroom lit by candles.

"Oooooohhhh, spooky." Truth said. I pinched her cheek. "Ouch!" I smirked, "why? You scared?"

She rubbed her cheek, "no, but apparently I'm rubber." My eyes lit up, "oh? Since when?" She chuckled a bit, "since now."

"This room kind of seems abandoned." I said. "Yeah," she agreed. It was dreary and musty, like it hadn't been used for 12 years."

I gagged. The smell just hit me. Badly. Badly. Badly.

"Let's get out of here." Truth said. "Okay." I agreed.

Wait. The only room north is the Keep Out door, and its locked. My eyes widened. NO!