Don't Forget About Me

"I feel like I haven't seen you in days, I'm so happy we worked the same shift today." Katie smiled in front of me at The Bean. We had both just gotten off of our shift, sipping on Cappuccinos. "I know, I'm sorry. Alex and I have been spending a lot of time together." I apologized to her, adjusting in my seat. "Yeah, more like every waking moment together since you met, what's up with that?" she raised her eyebrows at me. "Stop it, it isn't like that! We just became like instant best friends." I slapped her arm and she laughed. "Yeah well don't forget who your best friend was before he came along. Let's do something tonight, catch a movie or something! You can even invite Alex!" Katie exclaimed, bouncing in her seat. "Are you sure?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at her now. "Yes, it'll be fun. Just as long as he knows you're my best friend too, we'll be great." she clapped her hands and I laughed, feeling totally content with the life I was starting now. 

     I heard a honk outside my town house and I jumped from the couch, startled by the noise. A moment later my phone buzzed. I'm here!!!!!!!!! I laughed at Alex's text and got up from the couch, grabbing my little black purse from the kitchen island and heading for the door. An Acura NSX was sitting in my driveway, shining a white glitter against the setting sun. "Holy shit." I jogged over to the car, looking in through the open passenger side window to Alex. He was smiling wide at me, as always. "This is your fucking car?" I asked in aw, opening  the door and sliding in against the black leather. "Yeah, you like it?" Alex patted the dash board as I practically drooled over it. "It's amazing...what the fuck is this second job of yours?" I smiled, rubbing my hands against the leather. "You'll find out Wednesday night! Let's go pick up Katie!" Alex yelled, cranking up the stereo and pulling out of the driveway. 

     The three of us pulled into the Movie theater parking lot laughing, the music so loud we couldn't even hear our own thoughts. Alex quickly moved into a spot, cutting another person off. "Oh shit." Katie said from the back seat as he parked, turning off the car. "What? Fair is fair." Alex laughed as we exited the car, the guy in the truck yelling after us. Alex flipped him off and laughed, Katie practically having a heart attack as the guy revved his engine behind us. "Chill, it's fine." I laughed at Katie, taking her hand and pulling her after Alex. "That guy is compensating for something in that big truck." Alex said, falling back and walking beside me now. Katie and I laughed just as her phone went off. "Hello." she held her finger up to us, a smile on her face I know she reserved for Rex. "Her boyfriend." I whispered to Alex, putting my finger in my mouth and making a gag noise. He laughed, opening the door and letting us both in before trailing after us.

     "Are you serious!? That's great! Oh my god!" Katie exclaimed next to me as Alex ordered three tickets to Inside Out. I followed him into the lobby, leaving Katie behind with her exciting phone call. "What's that about?" Alex asked me, handing me my ticket. "I'm not sure." I shrugged back at him, heading for the concession stand. "Mia! Oh my god Mia!" Katie came racing up to us in line, a huge smile plastered to her face. "What's going on?" I laughed, grabbing her upper arms to settle her. "Rex is coming back a few days early! He'll be here tomorrow night!" she yelled and jumped up and down. "Rex?" Alex asked next to me. Katie ignored him or didn't notice him and kept jumping. "Katie that's great! How exciting!" I hugged her tight, a small thought of Joe trying to creep into my mind. "I know! But I guess that means I probably won't be coming with you guys tomorrow night, I hope that's okay!" Katie pulled away from me, looking a little concerned. "Oh stop, it's fine. You have to spend the night with your man! This is great!" I pushed my thoughts of Joe way down, wrapping my arm around Katie's shoulders and then Alex's and stepping up in line. "I'm so happy right now! This is the perfect day!" Katie sighed next to me, Alex rolling his eyes on my right. I shoved him playfully and he laughed. "I'm kidding, that's great Katie. We shall celebrate with mounds of popcorn!" Alex yelled, pointing to the employees behind the concession counter. Katie and I laughed, soaking in Alex's contagious care free mood. I couldn't stop thinking how simple things were around him.