Chapter 35

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Gwen, happy birthday to you!"

Mom and dad sang loudly and out of tune from either side of me.

"Happy birthday baby, now close your eyes and make a wish," mom tells me with a smile and kisses my chubby cheek.

I close my eyes tightly and wish, very badly trying to blow the 3 candles on my cake.

"What did you wish for, pumpkin?" dad asks and cuts me a piece of the cake.

"I can't tell you, cause then it won't come true," I protest with my little lisp.

For a second things went blurry and then slowly got clear again.

My young body's slung against the side of my mother's casket, her still beautiful face on display for all her loved ones.

"Mommy!" I cry. "Mommy come back!"

Familiar arms wraps around my body and picks me up into its embrace.

"Hush sweetheart, hush," he says forced, tears steaming down his face.

"Mommy's in a better place now."

The scene in front of me changed and I felt sand between my toes.

I was sitting by a badly made sand castle which was close to crumble all together, my back facing me.

"Dad look."

I stand up and hold up the crab I'd caught. "Look."

"Wow, that's awesome sweetheart, it's a big one too with huge claws," dad says excitedly.

I laugh and run over to my dad with it, holding the crab out towards him.

"No no no, don't," he laughs and runs scared away from the crab.

He falls over in the sand and slowly crawls away from us.

My tiny legs catch up with him and I place the crab on his back.

"Noooo, it caught me!" he says dramatically. "Oh no, no, I see the light."

His body twitches a few times before he lays there unmoving in the sand, the crab scurries off his back.

"Daddy?" I ask carefully and poke his back.

He doesn't respond.

Like someone had put the beach into a sieve, the ocean and sand ran away beneath me.

I was back.

Back in the arms of the vampire who dragged me out of the house while dad got beaten to a bloody pulp.

"Let him go!" I scream.

Dad had no chance against the stronger vampire and was quickly overpowered, his body going limp the man's hold.