Chapter 10- I Just Imagined You Scraping Chicken Off The Ground

"Honey... we're bankrupt."

I drop my phone after hearing those words. The shock hit me real hard.

Bankrupt?

What the fuck does she mean 'we're bankrupt'?

How could she say that so calmly?

After around ten seconds of standing still, I finally snap out of it. I quickly reach for my phone on the cold, hard ground.

"Bankrupt? What do you mean we're bankrupt?" I shout into my phone. "Oh my god! Where are you and dad? What's gonna happen? They've raided our house! They're going to take away all our things- even grandma's vase! Why do they even need that for?"

"Honey, calm down," Mom says patiently through the phone. "It's just a short term situation. Your dad and I have the situation under our control. We've just had a little mishap, that's all."

"If it's a so called small mishap, we'd still have our house right now!" I yell in disbelief. "How could you tell me to calm down right now? The house is gone! Where will I live? Are you and Dad going to come pick me up or something? I have school too!"

Call me dramatic, but you would probably react the same if you family became bankrupt out of nowhere and you were living alone.

"Carla, I assure you that everything will be fine. Your Dad and I are working on it. Every business out there has these kind of moments. Stay at a friend's place for now. If everything goes smoothly, we'll have our house and everything in it back in about a week," she explains tiredly. "Please, just work with me here."

My mother never says please to anyone. I know that she must be very tired and that I shouldn't stress her out any further. It's just that I'm afraid. I have no where to go. And what if everything doesn't go smoothly? What if we stay bankrupt?

"Alright. I'll ask a friend if I could crash at their place," I say after a long sigh. "I hope everything works out, Mom. I know that you are busy, but watch out for your health. Dad too."

"I'm glad you understand, Honey," Mom says with relief. "I have to go now. Love you and take care."

"Love you too," I say back to an already dead line.

I sigh and rub my temples for a long time, head hurting from what's happening right now. What now? Where should I go? Who should I call? Instantly, I think of Ethan and dial his number.

"Sup, curly fries!" Ethan shouts, way too loud for my liking.

"Ethan! Have I ever told you how much I love you?" I ask, sweetly.

"Even if you don't tell me, I know you do," he says with a chuckle. "But, cut to the chase, haha. What do you need?"

"Wait, what, Chase?" I ask, confused.

Why was he mentioning Chase's name?

"Jesus, has he gotten to your head or something? I said cut to the chase- as in don't beat around the bush. I know how you act when you need something cuz I'm your best friend ya know," Ethan claims.

"Oh! I'm kind of out of it right now," I admit with a sigh. "Ethan, my family's bankrupt. I need a place to stay."

A few seconds of silence passes by before Ethan bursts out laughing.

"Hahaha! Good one! You almost got me there," he says as if it's the funniest thing he has ever heard in his life. "Why are you trying to fool me? It ain't April yet!"