Chapter 25

Jett squeezed her eyes shut, tossing and turning against the hardwood floor. She desperately stretched out her body, trying to calm the aching pain in her chest. She felt like she was dying, her eyes wouldn't open even though she tried to open them. Jett felt as if she was falling, everything was dark and she couldn't breathe. She felt her legs thrash around the floor, her arms flailing in the air uncontrollably. She opened her mouth, trying to scream but nothing was working. She was engulfed by a lonely darkness.

~

Once midnight came, it was Newt's turn to watch guard. Josephine had woken him up and fell asleep right beside him in a matter of minutes. Josephine's hair was beginning to fall out and he was praying that she'd be okay for awhile longer. He owed Josephine his life and he couldn't handle watching another friend disappear into the unknown.

He sat beside Jett, watching her pale body bathe in the darkening fury. He wasn't sure if he should wake her from the deep slumber she was in just because he was lovely. He didn't want to admit the deep feelings he had developed for her. Everything she did seemed so oddly perfect. He liked her chocolatey brown eyes and her sun-kissed hair. He watched her sleep but he also watched Teresa sleep.

Teresa slept a few bodies away. Her face stayed emotionless as she dreamt of nothing. He didn't like Teresa but he didn't hate her either. Anger suddenly boiled up in his veins as he aggressively slammed his fist onto his leg.

Pain.

That's all he felt. Emotionally and mentally he was left with bruises, cuts and scars. He wanted to see Thomas and Minho again, hell that's all he wanted besides Jett. He was so angry that all he wanted to do is cry, but he wouldn't.

Not today.

"Newt?" Jett muttered. "How long have you been up?" Her eyes weren't open and her voice was shaken with sleep.

"Not long, why?"

"Did you see me do anything...scary?" Her soft voice cracked.

"No." He answered. "What's wrong?"

"I-I had a nightmare." A single tear left the strong girls eye as she stared at him.

Newt scooted over beside her. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really...I just felt like I was moving but I-" She broke out into a silent sound which slowly turned into panicky inhales.

"Calm down." He brought her into his arms. "It's okay Jett, I'm here. You are safe, you are here with me right now."

Jett continued to shake in his arms, crying quietly but hard enough causing Newt to cringe.

"It's okay." He continued to tell her.

She shook her head. "I'm scared." She brought her tear-stained cheeks to look at him. "I'm so scared."

Newt nodded. "I am too."

"I'm scared for my sister, I'm scared for Gina, I'm scared for Radar...Newt I'm so scared for you." He knew what she meant, that eventually he would be a crazy crank and he could never love her the way he wanted to.

"Don't be scared for me." He whispered.

Jett sniffed, feeling humiliated that she let her guard down. Her breathing picked up once more, causing her eyes to widen and her chest to raise.

But then,

But then Newt pressed his lips against her.

And,

And she kissed back because her breathing has slowed.