Chapter 35

Jett came to her senses and began the long journey to the abandoned building beside the city of Denver. To her displeasure, Radar was nagging behind her the entire time. She wanted to see him and tell him what had happened, how Kelsey is safe and everyone is there too. Soon enough, Jett began to ran until she got to the building, careful to keep quiet.

She opened the rusted door with a loud squeak and slipped inside, not bothering to wait for Radar. "Newt?" Their was a long silence before she spoke again. "Josephine?" She mounted her gun off of her belt and began to point it. She took a careful shuffle before Radar startled her and she shot a bullet. "Jesus! Don't scare me like that!"

"Don't wave a gun around!" He gaped.

"It was for protection." She snapped, continue to walk ahead.

Jett began to feel uneasy, something was clearly wrong. She opened the first door to her left, hoping that perhaps they could be hiding but no, she found Josephine's still body. Radar dropped to his knees and immediately checked for a pulse.

He shook his head. "She's...dead."

She began to freak out, running up the steps to the second floor. "Newt?" She called, desperate to find him. "How can this be happening?"

A shadow appeared from the darkness behind the walls. The figure of a boy began to limp his way towards Jett, beaten and insane.

He had almost completely turned.

"Newt?" A lump grew in her throat.

"I-I can't stop it." He muttered, looking at Josephine's blood on his hands. "I'm almost gone."

"Don't say that." She uttered, stepping towards him

"No! Stay back! I'll hurt you." He yelled.

Jett flinched. "What do I do?"

"Shoot me." He said all too quickly. "I can't live like this any longer."

"Newt." She croaked. "I can't do that, I love you!"

"And I love you." He confirmed. "But if you ever loved me, you'll shoot me."

"I can't."

"SHOOT ME!" He roared, his pupils dilating.

She raised the gun and aimed it at his head, her hands shaky and pale.

"I'll see you on the other side." He promised. "It's okay, you can do it."

She was rapidly crying. How could of this happened so fast? She didn't deserve this?

"I love you." She whispered as she pulled the trigger and a horrible sound between a loud thump and squish echoed in the building.

He fell to the ground the exact same time Jett did, only one of them were alive.