Chapter 15

Newt watched as Jett and Josephine stormed out of the small room, ready to fire at any walking crank they come in contact with. He wondered if she would freeze up again or start crying but from the look on her face, he knew she wouldn't.

"We will go no more then four kilometers." Radar said, picking up Kelsey. "If anything happens at all, you leave."

Newt nodded. "I'll see you in awhile."

"Good that." Radar spoke.

Newt turned to face him, surprised at what he just said.

"I picked up some of the slang you use." Radar chuckled before entering the small tunnel.

"Good that!" Newt stifled a laugh, before focusing on the door again.

Suddenly, a blast of warm air hit his face and Gina tumbled into the door, landing on Newt, before quickly getting up. She aimed her gun at him before realizing it was him.

"Jett and that crank said to come here." She lowered the small hand gun. "Said something about a secret passageway?"

Newt pointed towards the tunnel and Gina nodded. "I didn't think it was real." She stepped down into the small space. "You coming?"

Newt shook his head. "No I have to wave people down into the tunnel and keep cranks out but you'll need a candle." Newt handed Gina a candle and she waved.

Silence again. For a second he thought it was over before he heard another scream. It was an older scream and it was piercing, like it took out the last breath that person had to offer.

Gunshots.

The doorknob began to twitch and he held his position as he aimed the only weapon he had on him, a rusty knife. He was ready to throw it when Jett appeared. "Did she go down?"

"Gina? Yeah-"

"No my sister?" She yelped. "And is Radar with her?"

"Yes, Jett what's wrong?" He asked, feeling anxious to know why she was frantic.

"It's Chris." She mumbled. "He-he was trying to save this elder named Tina from the-the jaws of a crank but the crank turned around with a gun and just shot him! No mercy at all!"

Newt hadn't said a word to Chris but he'd seen him around, always cheery and making jokes to the kids, he was Radar's cousin.

"-And I just don't think I can tell Radar." Jett hiccuped.

"Tell me what?" It was Radar again, coming back from the tunnel.

"What are you doing here?" Jett gasped.

"Gina is watching Kelsey, don't worry." Radar told her and Jett tensed. "She said we needed help."

"Yeah." Jett wiped away her appearing tears. "Stevenson and Sid are leading a party that ran into the forest here, Cali and Simon have a few kids and elders while Josephine is aiding to Kyle behind the bookshelf in the kids room, if you head over there, that'd be great."

Radar nodded and span his gun around his finger before exiting out, Jett followed close behind.

In another matter of seconds, the door flung open with Stevenson, Sid, Todd, an elder and two kids. Newt pointed towards the tunnel. "Gina and Kelsey are already down there."

Stevenson nodded and ordered Sid to take everyone down while he stayed with Newt. "I thought they would attack tomorrow night."

Newt looked up confusedly.

"We found a camp of them a good twenty kilometres from here, I didn't think they'd get here so fast." He said angrily.

"Don't blame yourself shank." Newt then covered his mouth. "I'm so sorry sir, I didn't mean to say that."

"It's fine Newt." Stevenson glued his eyes to the door. "We don't question people's past."

And Newt was thankful.

Cali and Simon entered the room with a couple more people, still looking destroyed from the recent events.

"You all go down now." Stevenson ordered. "I'll wait here for Jett and Radar."

Newt then added. "With all due respect sir, I'd like to stay as well. A crank helped us escape, even opened the door for us. I'd like to point her out so we don't shoot her down."

Stevenson's eyes burned. "Fine."

"We'll see you soon." Cali nodded towards her companions.

"Let's go."