Chapter 26

Jett was kissing Newt and she liked it.

She loved it.

It was like kissing a fallen star from heaven and she was addicted after one kiss.

She craved more.

Jett hesitantly wrapped her arms around Newt's neck and held herself closer to him. Newt didn't mind, in fact he craved it just as much as Jett did.

They sat in the darkness of the night for awhile longer, only the fall asleep together.

The way it was supposed to be.

~

At first light, Radar, Jett, Newt, Stevenson and Josephine started packing up to leave. Teresa's group was dead asleep which made the goodbye a lot easier for Newt.

Stevenson spent all night fixing the truck in the back, only to find out it was just out of gas. A fuel tank was located outside of the building and Stevenson sent a prayer up to the big man upstairs.

They took half of Teresa's supplies like how they planned and packed it up in the old pickup truck. Newt felt a little queasy watching his friends take away the supplies of an old friend. He hated Teresa, he hated her for hurting Tommy. Every bit of him wished he could go back to the beginning.

He hated to admit that he missed the glade. Despite the grievers, life wasn't that bad in the glade. The only time that made him sick was when he jumped...The maze was just another obstacle that most of the boys ignored. He missed the cabin in the woods too, where he first met Jett.

Jett.

He reached over and grabbed her hand without thinking twice and she let him. He smiled to himself and felt a flame grow in his stomach. A flame he was destined to keep burning.

Together, the group packed up the truck and rode out into dawn. Leaving Teresa and her group behind without looking back.

Newt knew damn well that Teresa was his last shot when it came to finding his friends again but he let that dream go.

This was his family. Jett was his family.

"If I'm right, Denver is about a day's drive away." Stevenson said, keeping his eyes on the road. "We should be able to get there by sundown."

Jett grinned. "I can't wait to see everyone again."

Radar agreed. "I'm sure your sister can't wait to see you."

"It seems like a lifetime ago." Newt muttered.

Josephine didn't budge, she kept her eyes on the road. Jett felt an ache in her heart for Josephine suddenly. This woman has truly showed no harm to them and she kept Newt alive.

The drive went smoothly. Nothing but the sound of the tires on the road. A sweet buzz that lured Jett, Josephine and Radar to sleep, leaving Newt awake. He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and smiled.

"You love her kid?" Stevenson whispered.

Did he?

He hadn't known love ever.

Newt just nodded, keeping his eyes on Jett's face.

"Would you keep her safe?" Stevenson questioned.

"Until my last breath." Newt answered without thinking.

"Good." Stevenson paused, fear shook in his voice. "Because I need you to take care of her for me."

Newt looked up completely puzzled. "Sir?"

Stevenson turned to face Newt, except it wasn't Stevenson anymore. It was a crank. Pink saliva oozed out of his mouth. Newt was shocked, his heart slammed against his chest. Then he remembered the disease works in different ways.

Slowly for him and Josephine.

The speed of lightning for Stevenson.

The car began to sprawl out of control and Stevenson began to seize in his seat. Newt was slammed against the car door which caused him to yelp.

Jett woke up in a frenzy and screamed.

The car had flipped.