Chapter 17

Newt felt as if he was in the maze again. Running from those monstrous creatures who killed without mercy. He kept his balance as he ran, not even noticing the regretful limp on his leg. He kept his breaths full and he kept his eyes straight ahead.

Finally, Stevenson stopped in front of the peak of the forest. "We need water."

Jett turned to Radar who was already on it. No matter what, Radar kept a backpack of supplies on him. "I only have one bottle."

"It'll be enough." Josephine snatched at the water bottle but Jett hit it out of her hands.

"Stevenson takes the first sip." Jett scolded.

"Sure sweet-pea." Josephine rolled her eyes and waited for her turn.

When the bottle came to Jett, she sipped it slowly, mixing her spit with it so it created more. It was life over death.

"Here." Jett handed it to Newt who smiled warmly at her, ignoring the aching dryness in his throat.

Radar looked around the forest and then to the peak. "I wonder where the tunnel leads."

"I wonder." Josephine added.

"We meet in Denver." Stevenson spoke up. "I told Sid that before she went down into the tunnel."

Jett sighed in relief, knowing with the slightest chance, she'd see her sister again.

"What now though?" Newt asked, ripping the sleeves off his shirt.

"We set up camp." Stevenson said.

"We don't have anything to set up." Josephine pointed out. "I say we head out into the scorch for a good hour and look for a shelter of some sort."

Jett rolled her eyes at the know-it-all and leaned against a tree.

"We might come across a car." Jett smiled at Stevenson who smiled back. "Stevenson can hot-wire it."

"Damn right I can." Stevenson said.

Newt couldn't help but let the silly smile play out on his face, recalling Jett's memory from when he saved her and Kelsey.

"Let's go then." Radar picked up his backpack. "Before it turns nightfall or those cranks track us down."

So they ran.

~

Josephine and Stevenson came to a halt when they came across a small stone slab building. The wind was picking up as well and this might be there only chance.

"It's this or nothing." Josephine yelled, over the screaming wind.

Newt looked around, looking for cranks or people of the sort before walking closer to the small building.

"I think it was a wind mill of the sort." Radar commented. "Perhaps a water mill."

"No water here Radar." Stevenson opened the door, keeping his gun up.

"Wrong." Radar dropped to his knees and stuck his hand into the hot sand, he moved his hand around with a whooshing sound before pulling it out again. "Just as I expected, the slightest bit of a river under the sand."

"What are we waiting for?" Josephine dropped to her knees as well, digging a hole.

"You two can inspect the inside." Stevenson directed it to Jett and Newt. "See what's in there."

Jett nodded before Newt could answer and went inside the small, stone building.