Chapter 20

Newt felt her glare as he hid himself underneath the sleeping bag. It was true and he felt it pierce his heart.

He was a crank. A shucking, no good crank.

He knew she was watching his every move now and he felt overwhelmed. If he coughed, she might pull the trigger of her hand gun. Maybe it was better that way.

"Newt." She mumbled and tapped his back.

He didn't budge.

"Newt I'm sorry." She whispered. "I didn't mean to come off so harsh."

Newt wanted to face her but he couldn't pull himself to do it, he was ashamed of himself. Newt felt embarrassed, angry even. He didn't want to be a crank, the thought scared him horrifically.

If you ain't scared, you ain't human.

Newt looked Jett in the eyes and she smiled lightly. "Hey."

"Hey." He said back.

"I'm sorry." She apologized again.

"Don't worry about it." He sighed. "It's my fault I'm not bloody immune."

Jett giggled. "I like your accent."

Newt felt his embarrassment disappear. He smiled at her and watched her cheeks turn pink.

He liked her.

"Thank you."

"It suits your character." She adds.

"My character?" He questioned.

"A survivor Newt. You could be a cool British survivor from some awful television show." Jett told him. "Like a cheesy James Bond."

Newt laughed himself. "Maybe."

Jett and Newt locked eyes for what seemed like forever. Everything around them wasn't as noticeable as before.

"I'm really sorry." She said at last. "I'm really really sorry Newt."

"Come here." He opened his arms and Jett laid beside him. "It's alright."

Jett felts Newt's chin against the back of her head. "It's scary."

"I know." He told her. "But we will find everyone again. Kelsey, Gina, Sid, Simon, Cali and everyone else, we will find them."

Then Jett felt safe.