Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next few months were crazy. Nathan and I became closer like best friends but he never made a move. I just figured it wasn't going to happen but that didn't sway all the times I came to the thought of him touching me or me flirting a bit. I couldn't help it. I even dressed up for him. I knew it was crazy but I did secretly hope he'd notice me but it never happened. I'd bend down in front of him, touch him here and there on his arm or leg and even when he'd hug me I'd hold him a bit tighter than most friends.

One day he made me so horny. He had me laughing so hard and he accidently spilled water on his shirt. It was white and of course the suspenders were there but I still saw the definition in his chest for sure. I bit my lip constantly around him. I never meant to but it was a thing I had.

I knew there was a dance coming up and I was going to ask him. I know. I was stupid for thinking he'd make a move then as opposed to any other day. My logic was if it was a formal dance that he'd see it as a date and get the nerve up but I knew it wouldn't happen. Still I was going to ask.

After class was over and knowing I didn't have to work that day I went straight up to him. "Soph...hey how was classes today?"

"They were okay but I need to ask you something."

He stopped and looked at me. "What is it?"

"Umm well that dance is coming up you know and I was just wondering if you wanted to go?"

"Oh yeah I'm going. Bethany asked me to go with her. Who are you going with?"
Fuck. My heart just sank. He thought I was asking if he was going and what's worse he's going with Beth. She's pretty but intelligent and funny to add. I hate her.

"Oh cool...I actually don't have a date."

"Seriously? But you're a catch." I wish you thought so for yourself Nathan.

I held back the lump in my throat. "Thanks. I may not go I don't know yet. Umm I better go I was supposed to meet Melanie in 15 minutes. See you around." I hurry out of the building.

I knew it was rude to just run away and I knew in the back of my mind he didn't want me like that but I had hope. At least until the whole Beth thing came up.

I just walked home and then cried a bit. I knew I had to let him go. It wasn't healthy to hang onto a crush when they didn't feel the same. As of tomorrow he'd be my friend and that's it. As much as I wanted to quit him cold turkey and not be around him I knew I couldn't. He was an amazing friend. He seemed to be the only guy that got me and the only one to make me laugh the way he could.

I went to bed knowing getting over him would be hard as hell if not impossible.

2 days later (Night of the dance)

I had talked to Nathan yesterday and he only talked about the dance and Beth. I made an excuse I wasn't feeling well and got off the phone. He text me during the rest of the night asking if I was okay and I would just respond with one word answers or short phrases. I wasn't trying to freeze him out I just needed some distance to make it easier for myself for now.

Tonight was the dance and I shouldn't even go but I knew if I didn't he'd ask why and I wasn't ready for any excuses. I was going alone of course.

I got into a cute mid –thigh strapless red dress that flared out a bit with a black heel. I decided to put my hair up into an intricate bun and left a few pieces down around my face. A bit of makeup and headed for the door.

I got inside the school and saw everybody there. Everyone was having a good time already. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and Nathan was standing in front of me in a black suit. He had his signature suspenders but a jacket on over them and his plain white button up. His curls were more tamed than messy and donned with his glasses. He was heart-stopping.