T H R E E

I stand behind Two-Bit in the dark as Ponyboy opens the door of a modest, white house. Pony disappears inside and Johnny follows.

"Don't be nervous, Blue." Two-Bit says as I hear Ponyboy talking to a few unfamiliar voices inside.

Two-Bit walks in and I follow him, lingering on the threshold but allowing the door to swing itself shut behind me.

"Now this here is Bluebelle," I hear Ponyboy say and I smile shyly to two boys sitting on the couch. "She's new to town and we met her tonight."

"Well it sure is awful nice to meet a pretty girl such as yourself," one of the boys smiles. "I'm Soda."

"And I'm Steve." The other boy introduces himself.

"Where's Darry at?" Ponyboy asks as Two-Bit disappears into the kitchen and Johnny plops down into a chair.

"Eh, he's sleepin'. He went to his room 'bout an hour ago," Soda answers before turning his attention to me. "Ponyboy Michael Curtis! What's happened to your manners, kid? Come on in and make yourself at home, Bluebelle."

Steve gestures to the living room with a goofy grin as Sodapop speaks.

"Thank you," I smile, deciding to take a seat on the arm of the chair that Johnny is sitting in. "You two really are as nice as Ponyboy said you were."

"Steve Randle? Nice?" Soda laughs. "He's just a good-for-nothin' rotten hood."

At this, Steve punches him in the arm, and a full-blown wrestling match is about to take place until Ponyboy reminds them that Darrel is asleep in the next room over. Two-Bit returns from the kitchen with a slice of chocolate cake, and seeing him reminds me that I am still wearing his jacket from earlier and I shrug it from my shoulders.

"Thanks for the lend, Two-Bit." I smile, handing it over to him as he sits on the floor.

"Anytime, oh darlin' of mine." He says, attempting to rhyme.

Ponyboy wedges himself onto the couch with Sodapop and Steve. The five of us watch tv and talk for what seems like forever. Eventually, I let out a yawn and take a look at the clock, nearly falling onto poor Johnny when I see that it is past 2am.

"You alright?" Johnny asks, steadying me on the arm of the chair.

"It's two in the morning!" I gasp, standing up. "My folks are gonna skin me alive!"

"It's alright, Blue. Take it easy," Two-Bit soothes. "We'll walk ya home, okay?"

"It's pretty far," I shake my head. "I'm not gonna make you do that."

"It's not safe for you to go alone, Bluebelle. It's a lot different here than it is where you came from." Soda informs me with concerned eyes.

"It's alright. I carry a blade and I know how to use it if I ever meet any trouble," I smile, walking towards the door. "It's fine. I swear."

"Well, I don't feel right about it." Pony comments.

"Ponyboy -believe it or not- I have actually survived for 17 years without your guidance or protection," I joke with a laugh as I flick his nose. "I'll be just fine."

"If you're sure..." Soda sighs, giving in.

"I am," I smile at him. "Thank you boys for being so kind to me. It's really nice to know there are some good people left in the world."

"If Greasers are good, then it shouldn't be too hard to find good people in this part of town." Steve laughs, making me grin.

"I'll see you guys around, okay?" I say, walking towards the door.

"Come over tomorrow, anytime. Someone's always here." Soda smiles, and I nod before saying goodbye and walking out the door.

"Belle, wait!" I hear a hushed whisper and I turn around only to be hit in the face with something soft.

I grab it, realizing that it is a coat. Two-Bit's coat.

"Two-Bit, I ain't gonna take your coat, you'll freeze." I laugh.

"I'm stayin' here for the night, so I'll be fine. Just bring it back when you come tomorrow." He says, and I nod.

"Thanks, Two," I smile, putting the jacket on before giving him a quick hug. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"That sounds just fine," he smiles, starting back into the house. "And be careful, Bluebelle."

"I'm always careful." I state before turning and starting off of the porch and through the gate, walking down the street towards my house.