N I N E

We walk into The Dingo and take a seat at a booth. Ponyboy and I share one side of the booth as Johnny and Two-Bit slide in across the table from us. When the waitress arrives, we all order Cokes and burgers. Two-Bit grows impatient as we wait for our food to come out and begins to pester other patrons. He leans out of our booth into the next one over, snatching a handful of fries from the couple's table.

"Sorry about him," I smile embarrassedly to the two teenagers. "We're not really supposed to bring him out in public yet. His shrink said to wait a few more weeks, but we thought he was ready. We were clearly wrong."

The couple turns around uncomfortably and Two-Bit just laughs gleefully and eats the fries, tossing a few to Johnny.

"I wonder if this is how kings feel..." Two muses, finishing his fries before reaching over to another table and taking a girl's milkshake.

"Two-Bit!" I scold as he takes a long drink before returning it to the shocked-looking girl.

"What?" He asks innocently.

"You are the rudest person I have ever seen!" I laugh before turning to the girl and giving her the same psychiatric patient story.

"You'll get used to him." Ponyboy shrugs, glancing up as our food is delivered to us.

"Praise Jesus! I was wastin' away over here!" Two-Bit exclaims, taking a huge bite out of his cheeseburger.

"Yeah. Wasting away." Ponyboy rolls his eyes.

I ignore their banter and zero in on my burger, realizing just how hungry I was. In record time, I have polished off the food on my plate and drank my soda, letting out a satisfied belch and leaning back in my seat. The guys look at me with wide eyes, and I raise my eyebrow, daring them to say something. They all shrug and finish up their burgers. We leave our money on the table and stand up, stretching our legs before walking out of the diner.

We begin to make our way back to the Curtis household, but we don't make it very far before a car pulls up alongside us. The driver parks on the side of the road and the four of us begin to walk a bit faster. We hear the doors open and slam shut and several footsteps approaching us.