S E V E N T E E N

I finally get out of the tavern and into the cool night air. The wind stings at my skin, but it's better than the stuffy and smelly atmosphere of the bar. It takes me about 15 minutes to make it to the Curtis' place, and by the time I step onto the porch, I am chilled to the bone.

I open the front door quietly as my body is overcome by shivers. I close it behind me and turn around, surprised to see Darrel seated at the recliner, watching the news while Ponyboy lies on the couch reading a book.

"Hey fellas," I smile, still shaking from coldness. "What're you guys doin' up so late?"

"Sodapop's at a party and we just want to be sure he makes it home okay," Pony explains, not even glancing up from his book. "Steve's with him though, so we ain't worried or nothin'."

"Ah." I nod, looking to Darry.

He takes one look at the way I'm shivering and he stands up, approaching me.

"Come on, I ain't gonna have you catching pneumonia on my account," he says, stepping into Ponyboy and Sodapop's room for a second. "Pony, do you reckon that your clothes'll fit Belle?"

"I ain't too much bigger than her, so I don't think they'll swallow her whole." Ponyboy shrugs.

"Here," Darrel reappears, shoving some clothes into my hands and leading me into the bathroom. "You get a nice shower and I'll make something to warm you up. Do you want coffee or hot chocolate?"

"Up to you." I smile, thanking him before closing the bathroom door.

I take a very fast but very hot shower, toweling off my hair until it was almost perfectly dry. I put on the plain black t-shirt and the baggy-ish gray sweatpants, using the string to keep them from falling around my ankles. I slip the thick, white socks onto my feet and hang up my towel before exiting the bathroom. I see that Sodapop has returned, and he is sprawled out on the couch with Ponyboy. I wave at him and he smiles brightly.

I walk into the kitchen, hopping up to sit on the countertop as Darry hands me some hot chocolate.

"Here you go, Babygirl," he announces. "Be careful, it's hot."

"I'm always careful." I chirp, blowing on the hot chocolate as Darry carries two mugs into the living room, handing them to Pony and Sodapop.

He returns to the kitchen to get some for himself and he stands, leaning his hand against the counter next to my leg and drinking his hot chocolate with the other.