T W E N T Y - S E V E N

The gang stays until closing time, so the eight of us end up walking home together. The weather had finally started to warm up, so I was fine to just wear a sweater and not be cold.

The Dingo is a good distance from the Curtis house, but none of us seem to mind as we walk along, caught up in playful banter and the occasional scuffle.

Darrel and I hang back a few yards, walking in a comfortable silence with the occasional exchange of words. One of the reasons I'm so crazy about Darry is because I can always feel normal around him even if we aren't talking about something. It's impossible for a silence to be awkward with him.

I let out an irritated groan when I hear the all-too-familiar sound of a car engine slowing down behind us. I turn around, glad that I was carrying my blade tonight.

"Can't there just be one day without this nonsense?" I question rhetorically as the rest of the guys turn around and join the two of us. "Just one day. That's not too much to ask, is it?"

Darrel moves slightly forward, standing halfway in front of me as the Socs pile out of their car. They are outnumbered by three, but that doesn't seem to sway their confidence. I groan again when I recognize them as the boys who had jumped me a few weeks ago.

"You guys really need to find a hobby or somethin'," Dallas drawls out toughly, walking up to stand on my other side. "Knitting? Bird-watching? Oh, I know: Leaving us alone. Doesn't that sound like a real kick, fellas?"

I bite back a smile, trying to remain serious and tough-looking until these guys scram.

"We're done with you guys making us look like sissies," Kent states, making me scoff lightly. He sends me a glare, but I continue to smirk. "But we know when we're outnumbered."

"So scram then, Bud." Two-Bit almost growls, the frown on his face completely out of character.

"We will after we tell ya what we got to tell ya," Kent snaps. "We're going to fight, but not tonight."

"Are you proposing a rumble?" Darrel asks, tucking me further behind him.

"I am," Kent confirms, making Dally chuckle lightly. "This Friday by the tracks. 10 p.m. sharp. No more than 15 guys. Don't be late."

With that, he and his little lapdogs turn and walk back to their car, climbing in and acting like they were going to run over us. None of us moved as they stop abruptly a few feet in front of us before whipping around and speeding off down the street.

"What's a rumble?" I ask.

"Basically just a planned fight between rival gangs." Sodapop explains.

"They're no big deal, really," Steve laughs. "Actually pretty fun."

"Y'all have a warped idea of fun then," I sigh, rubbing my forehead. "I'm sorry if I'm the reason this started."

"Don't you worry, Babygirl," Darrel squeezes my shoulders. "After we win, those Socs won't be giving you any trouble ever again."