S I X T E E N

"Belle wake up. It's almost time for your shift at the tavern, Babygirl." I feel a gentle touch on my shoulder.

I open my eyes to see Darry standing over me, looking at where I was lying on the floor.

"Thanks, Dar." I say blearily, sitting up and leaning against the couch, rubbing at my eye.

"The guys are all down at the lot playin' football, and I'm plannin' on meetin' them there in a bit," he explains, offering me his hand and pulling me to my feet. "I was hoping that you'd let me drop you off at work tonight though. It's awful cold out."

"You don't have to, I can just walk-" I start, but he cuts me off.

"I insist."

"Alright," I smile, grabbing my purse from where it had wedged between the couch cushions. "I appreciate it."

"It's no problem, Belle." he smiles gently, grabbing the keys to his truck and holding the door open for me.

He opens the passenger side door for me first, helping me in and closing it before going around to his side and hopping in himself. He starts the engine and I buckle my seatbelt as he backs out of the driveway. In a matter of minutes, we are outside of the tavern and I step out of the truck, keeping the door open as I stand on the sidewalk.

"Thanks a million," I smile. "I probably would have been late if I tried walking."

"It's nothing, really." he smiles, but his eyes travel behind me and harden.

"Come on over here, Sweetheart!" A rough-looking middle-aged man shouts from where he is leaning against his motorcycle and smoking a cigarette. "Ever been on a motorcycle before?"

I roll my eyes and ignore him, turning back to Darry.

"And so it begins..." I sigh, making him shake his head with a slight laugh. "You think your couch'll be open tonight?"

"We'll always have a place for you." He says sincerely.

"Thanks," I smile. "It means more than you know. See you around!"

"Bye, Belle." He smiles and I close the truck door.

He waits until I get to the doors to drive off, honking twice as I wave at him. I duck inside, making my way to the bar and tying on my apron, ready for my shift to just be over with.