F O U R T E E N

I don't reply, I just hum to myself as I finish up the food. Darrel stays in the kitchen with me, but the silence between us isn't awkward; it's comfortable. I put the food onto plates and I set them on the table and I wash up the pans I used, putting them back in the cupboards. I turn back to Darrel, looking up at him.

"I think I'm gonna head out, Darrel," I smile up at him. "The sun's startin' to come up and I know once the day begins, all hell's gonna break lose around here."

"You got that right," Darrel chuckles before looking at me a bit closer and sobering up. "Are you doing alright, Bluebelle? I can tell that somethin' is wrong."

"It's nothing really," I try to smile, but Darrel gives me a soft look that tells me that he doesn't believe me. "It's just..." I sigh. "It's just that my Mama took off a bit ago and my Papa's not takin' it too well, that's all."

"I'm sorry, Blue," He says, wrapping his strong arms gently around my shoulders. "If you ever need a friend, you've got seven of 'em right here, alright?"

"Alright," I return his hug tightly. "Thanks. For everything. I'll see you around, okay?"

"Don't be a stranger!" He calls as I walk out of the door into the cool, dewy morning.

"I wouldn't dream of it." I say mostly to myself as I begin making my way into town, brainstorming on ways I could begin to spend my mornings and afternoons.

An idea suddenly dawns on me and I begin to make my way towards The Dingo. I walk in, seeing that there were only a few customers there since it's still so early in the morning. I ask to speak to the manager, introducing myself and asking if they need any more employees. It doesn't take long for me to charm the manager and I am told that they could always use another pretty face around here. I thank the manager, shocked by my change of luck lately.

Any source of income is needed right now, and I'm willing to work my tail off to get some extra cash for me and my Papa. I will begin working here on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday afternoons and I work at the tavern on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday nights.

I walk out of The Dingo with a bounce in my step despite how exhausted I feel.

One of these days, I'll make my Papa proud of me.

One of these days, I'll make me proud of me.