T W E N T Y - O N E

There is a bruise on my cheek and a cut over my eyebrow that Darry put a skinny white band-aid over. My hair is stringy and bloody from where the cut had gotten busted up, and my eyes have dark circles under them from restless sleep.

As I strip out of my dirty clothes, my appearance only grows worse. There is a big bruise on my side and two bruises on my biceps from where that kid had been holding onto me. There are small scrapes  along my arms from skidding across the pavement.

I take a deep breath, trying to ignore the stinging as best as I could as I get under the stream of water in the shower. A small gasp of pain escapes my lips as the water trickles across the scrapes, the sharp intake of air hurting my ribs. I eventually just tune out of the pain my body is experiencing, knowing that there's nothing I can do to fix a cracked rib or heal a wound faster.

After my shower I don't feel any better, but at least I feel clean. I towel dry my hair as much as I can before slipping into the bra and underwear, making a mental note to go home soon to get fresh clothing. I put on the sweatpants, that must be Ponyboy's because they actually somewhat fit, and the t-shirt, which swallows me whole so it must be Darry's.

I tread quietly out to the living room, where Johnny is stretched out in the recliner taking a nap. I lay down on the couch, pulling the blanket from the back of it down overtop of my body.

I curl into the back of the couch, my exhaustion catching up to me as I fall asleep, Johnny's deep breaths lulling me into unconsciousness.