E L E V E N

After hanging out for a little while, I offer to cook supper for the boys, who all excitedly agree. I poke through their cupboards and find the ingredients to make spaghetti with, so I go ahead with that. I finish up everything just as Steve, Sodapop, and Darrel walk through the front door.

"What smells so good?" Soda questions, popping his head through the doorway to the kitchen.

"Spaghetti." I smile at him.

"Belle, you are an absolute angel!" He beams, running and giving me a huge hug.

"Hardly an angel," I laugh as he puts me back onto my feet. "It's really nothing," Soda gives me a look. "Go wash up and then come get some supper."

"Yes ma'am." He smiles before exiting the kitchen, grabbing onto Steve and pulling him to the bathroom to wash up.

"Something smells great." I hear what I believe to be Darrel's voice coming from over my shoulder.

I look back from where I am washing dishes and confirm that my suspicion was true.

"Spaghetti," I answer with a soft smile. "I hope you're hungry."

He smiles kindly with a nod. Without a word, he grabs a dishrag and begins to help me dry the dishes and put them away. I smile to myself and allow him the space to wash his hands before supper.

Before long, the pack of hungry boys is in line beside the stove, all of them bickering and trying to cut to the front of the line. I shake my head with a smile as I begin dishing out food to them all until they are all content with the amount of pasta on their plates. I scoop a small portion for myself and I sit at the dining table with Darrel, Ponyboy, and Johnny. The rest of the guys are eating in the living room or out on the porch.

"This is delicious," Darrel smiles. "Thank you so much."

"It's really no trouble." I shrug, taking a bite of my own.

"Well it saved me the trouble of having to cook, so thank you." He thanks me again.

"You're welcome." I say quietly, settling in and listening to Pony and Darrel talk about how their day went and whatnot.

After dinner, I decide to walk home before the sun sets. I'm not too keen on walking home in the dark again, so I hug everyone goodbye and make tentative plans to see them again on Friday. I make it home around 7:00 and am confused to see the family car parked in the driveway. Mama shouldn't be home until much later tonight, and I pause by the mailbox. I hear yelling voices inside and I debate on just turning around and walking away.

I take a deep breath and square my shoulders, deciding to just go in long enough to see what is going on.