T E N

"Look Pal, we don't want any trouble, alright?" Two-Bit says, turning around and putting himself in front of me. "We've got a sweet gal with us and we don't want to have to get nasty with ya in front of her."

I look around his shoulder, Johnny on my other side and Ponyboy close beside him. There are five Socs approaching us, and my hand moves to my purse, wondering if I should go for my switchblade or not.

"Are these bums bothering you, Sweetheart?" A blonde-haired Soc asks, peering down at me.

"They're not bothering me, but you are," I grit out. "And they're not bums."

"Someone needs to teach you how to speak to your superiors with respect." A strong-looking boy with curly hair and a tan jacket sneers, his eyes narrowing at me.

"Someone needs to teach you how to mind your own business and keep your ugly mug out of innocent people's faces." I shoot back, pulling my switchblade out as he lunges towards me.

I hold it in my right hand and tug Ponyboy behind me with my left, remembering that he doesn't carry a blade. I hear two clicks coming from Two-Bit and Johnny's blades.

"Look here, Pal," Two-Bit starts. "We don't want to get into this with you, but it's your call."

A blonde boy with a slight build charges at us and Two-Bit kicks him in the gut, sending him to the ground.

"Bad call." I state as the other four begin to advance towards us.

I keep Ponyboy behind me as the largest Soc approaches the two of us. Out of nowhere, he looks behind us and his eyes widen. He begins to back up slowly, grabbing his friend off of the ground and dragging him towards their car. I am confused until a leather-covered arm drops around Ponyboy's shoulders.

"Whattya know? It's almost like they've heard of me before or somethin'." An unfamiliar voice sounds from behind us.

The Socs pile into the car and drive away with their tires screeching as we all turn around.

"Dally?" Ponyboy asks. "I thought you were in the cooler!"

"Ah, I got bored. Decided to leave early," Dally shrugs before looking at me. "Who's the broad?"

"The broad is Bluebelle." I cross my arms.

Dally gives me a long look, taking a drag from his cigarette before cracking a dangerous-looking grin.

"Bluebelle, huh?" He questions, and I nod firmly. "With a name like that, you're guaranteed to fit in with this gang of misfit hoods."

"Who're you callin' hoods?" Two-Bit asks with a laugh as we continue walking.

"You, Bonehead." Dally answers, pulling out two cigarettes and handing them to Pony and Johnny. They both light up and continue walking back towards the Curtis house.

This time, we are not interrupted by little boys in fancy cars bought with their daddy's money.