Chapter 6: Island of Festivities

Mermaid Tail by Cryptic_Eyes, All Rights Reserved, © 2015

☯ ☯ ☯

Disclaimer: These characters will be as close to the personalities of the original characters, but some moments will be OOC, to fit the story. I hope you enjoy!

☯ ☯ ☯

As I promised in the same night, here is the next chapter just three hours later! Woohoo! This chapter is dedicated to Mollyluvsbooks. I really appreciate all her comments; they really made me feel so happy! Thanks so much! Song is "My Escape" by Ravenscode...LISTEN TO THIS WHEN THEY DANCE. THAT IS ALL I AM GOING TO SAY BECAUSE UGH MY FEELS. Please comment and vote to support, I love to hear what you guys think! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed! Please enjoy, everyone!

☯ ☯ ☯

Natsu had helped her into the hammock and left her to herself, and the blonde had fallen asleep with a pounding heart.

After that, two weeks on the water sailed by, marking a month Lucy had boarded the boat known as the Fairy Tail. This part of the Obsidian had been safe travel for the blonde while she still had her tail, and she spent her days helping around the ship and continuing her bonding with the people there. She practiced more with the sword with Natsu, got some combat training as well to serve as a time filler. As those two weeks went by, Lucy was certain that this ship--of all things--was more of a home to her than the Horizon had been in the past seven years. After the night Natsu had heard her singing, the blonde and the dragon slayer seemed somehow closer.

One thing Lucy knew for certain was that they both wanted to get to the next island soon; they all did. Walking on land to Lucy was desperately needed, and she wasn't even originally from that world. So, when Levy and Wendy announced that they'd reach one of the last islands separating them from the Horizon the next day, the whole crew decided to celebrate with a big feast. A feast that Lucy helped prepare for the first time; she introduced Mira to her native delicacies, offering spices in dishes that apparently the white haired maiden didn't normally use with it.

So, when Mira approved of the way they tasted, the blonde was overjoyed she'd helped out.

"What's the name of the island?" Lucy asked, curious.

"Natantis," Erza replied, standing next to her. "It means floating, swimming."

Looking out over the side of the bow, Lucy looked at the crashing waves below them, the sun shining brightly in the blue sky. The water was clear, and she could faintly see dolphins grazing the bumps of the water in their play. She smiled, resting her chin on the heel of her palm.

"What is it?" Erza asked looking over the side in suspicion. "Sharks?"

Typical Erza, always on guard and alert no matter what.

"Nope," the blonde replied, "it's just dolphins."

"Actually, I've been meaning to ask you that for some time," the scarlet haired warrior added. "What do your people do about dangerous sea creatures such as serpents and sharks?"

"Sharks aren't as evil as humans think," Lucy started, lazily looking off into the distance. "They are dangerous, but mermaids and sharks have a mutual respect. I heard from my mother that in the old days we used to fight with them like horses are to early era human wars."