Chapter 2 - Beginning

Hellooo again to anyone reading this :) thanks for actually reading, I know it sucks but it's kinda fun, writing that is. I'm trying to get some action in asap but I don't want to go to fast because those types of stories annoy me but I promise, when I get to the cases and stuff, there will be danger situations and injuries and naru saving the day blablabla because I like those types of things :) Either way, please review otherwise I may not bother to continue writing as there's not really any point if no one reads it. (There's more available on fanfic.net)

I don't own ghost hunt, no matter how much I wish I do!

...

Thursday Evening

...

The school day went by like a blur. I spent the entire time wandering after Michiru and Keiko all zombie-like, minus the moaning and groaning and hunger for human flesh, that is. At, least, that's what Keiko kindly told me during lunch. Throughout classes and breaks, I passed time by contemplating how on earth I got myself into this predicament. I still have no ideas. Nada. This whole situation is ridiculous. Impossible. Unfeasible. Incomprehensible. Illogical.

Yet it happened.

Leaning back on my very uncomfortable chair, I stare at the ceiling and sigh.

"Come on Mai, that's like, the two hundredth sigh you've done today!"

I twist my head round slowly and look at Keiko. I feel kinda bad for her and Michiru. I mean, their friend has gone off somewhere, presumably with my body, and they're stuck with a rather confused, useless, untalkative me. Not that they know it's ME me but, well, you know.

"Sorry Keiko," I reply, genuinely sorry. "I'm just a little out of it today."

In return they both let out a small giggle.

"Yeah we sorta realised that," Michiru said between snorts of laughter. As the laughter grew louder, I found that I couldn't help but join in too. As I did, I felt a huge weight being lifted off my chest and my worries lessened. Slightly.

"Hey, you finally smiled!"

I stopped laughing and turned to look at Keiko again. Had I not smiled today? I hardly noticed. But then again, with my situation I can understand why I hadn't seemed terribly cheery.

"It's good to know that you're feeling better now," Keiko smiled softly and Michiru hugged me gently.

Better? Pfft ok just hold the scoff and sarcy comment in Bex. Hold.

"I know what'll really cheer you up!" Michiru exclaimed, jumping back from the hug, her face lit up like an amusement park at night time and staring expectantly at me.

Sorry girlie but unless you can get me back in my real body, I'm afraid you're stuck there.

"Let's stay behind late and tell ghost stories!"

Deja vu anyone?

"Ooh that sounds like a great idea Michi!"

There is some definite deja vu going on here.

"Mai?"

They both stare at me eagerly with literal sparkles dancing in their eyes. Now if this really is the exact same day where Mai would've met Naru, then that means I would meet him tonight if I stayed to tell ghost stories. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. Uneasy? Anxious? Either way, the looks these two are giving me, I'd feel way too guilty if said no. I may as well just shoot a puppy.

"Sure. Why not?"

Squeals of delight and excitement escaped their lips as they jumped up and down eagerly until they decided to search for some torches whilst I stayed in the classroom. As they took their sweet time, I decided to move a desk over and allowed my eyes to wander over the school grounds. My fingertips drummed the surface of the desk rhythmically while the sky shifted from blue to indigo to a deep purple. The soft hues of the clouds and sky make me feel rather drowsy and I'm about to give in to sleep when a deep voice cuts through my thoughts.

"Good evening."

I swear to god, my internal organs and bones just jumped out of my skin and my heart just had four attacks. I hurriedly clamber off my chair, kneeing the desk as I go.

"Jesus Christ you almost gave me a heart attack!" I exclaim, rubbing my knee gingerly. Well, technically he almost gave me four but there's no need for semantics.

The man smirked and brushed his long, jet black hair away from his face.

"My apologies. I was just wondering what you were doing here this late."

He smiled at me but there was no way I'm buying it. This guy totally wants something. His mouth may be curled upwards, but his attitude is just cold.

"Well I fail to see how that is any of your business," I snap at him. I probably shouldn't have been so rude, but I am having kind of a bad day today so I'm gonna cut myself some slack.

He stares at me, seemingly shocked and his mouth dropped a little. Just then Michiru and Keiko came strolling into to the classroom, torches in hand.

"Hey Mai sorry we're late! We had to go - woah," they stopped abruptly, ogling the man that was standing next to me with a fascinating look in their eyes.

"So Mai, who's your friend?"

I was about to correct them on the fact that he was NOT my friend, just some random, fairly attractive, guy that decided to scare the hell out of me and talk to me out of the blue when he decided to reply instead, with a fake smile plastered onto his face.

"Kazuya Shibuya,"

...ok what.

The girls squealed and started to question him some more but I just stood there, probably looking like a complete idiot.

I thought I wasn't supposed to meet him until AFTER we told ghost stories...

What does this mean? Will some events differ from the anime? Or manga? Why's this changed? Wait, stop. I shouldn't be freaking out over this. It's ok, it doesn't really change much anyway, I'm going to find a way to get back to my body anyway, so that's that. Done. I hope anyway. God I need to actually find a way to do that first, God this is so irritating...

It was then that I realised Michiru, Keiko and 'Kazuya' were staring at me.

Oops.

"You know what guys, I'm thinking that I'm gonna head off home, I'm not really feeling up to telling ghost stories tonight soo... Bye!" I hurriedly collected my bag and things then made my way to the door to exit the classroom. The fact that I don't actually know how to GET to my 'home' was a slight problem but I'm sure I'll find a way over that. I just feel a little overwhelmed right now - I mean seriously, I just met Naru. Kazuya Shivuya, Oliver Davis, my biggest crush of all time. That's fictional.

F-I-C-T-I-O-N-A-L.

As I'm reaching for the door, I feel a large hand grab my wrist, gently.

Oh my god he's touching me.

"Are you ok?" His deep voice echoed around the classroom, or that might just be my head, and it seemed vaguely laced with worry.

I guess I should be happy. My crush is worried for me - at least he sounds worried - but everything inside me is screaming that this is wrong and impossible and totally impractical. I need to leave here, this body, this universe, this life, this is just so wrong...

Suddenly I feel his skin on my forehead as though he's checking whether or not have a fever.

I can't remember any more.

Because I blacked out.