Chapter 15 - Case 2

* HAPPY NEW YEAR *

...

Still Saturday morning

...

Imagine that your brain is a library.

It's got a section at the back filled with newspapers of events of your life; aisles of fictional novels that you imagine your life to be like; a kiddie section with picture books of what you dream of doing in the future; shelves of files on every single word, sentence and phrase you've ever heard, said or thought of using in the order of how much you use them and who you use them with; and documents on all your skills and talents, from playing the piano to being able to stuff 12 Jaffa Cakes in your mouth.

And don't forget the wonderful librarian, your skinnier, curvier, taller, smarter, prettier, sexier version of you that you imagine yourself to be, who has spent their lifetime living in this library and knows precisely where everything is stored and how to handle every situation with their deftness and capability.

Oh wait.

At least, you'd THINK that they'd be capable and know how to handle situations, even under pressure after living there for sixteen fucking years and when you think "Oh shit I really need believable lie right now Mrs. Subconscious, could you find one for me please?" you'd think that they'll go "Sure thing Bex! Oh would you look at that, section 3879 row 684 number 952 from the left - that lie you told Bethany Walker in the year 2012 ought to do it with a few tweaks to the phrasing with the help of this guide from aisle 224k - et voila!" and not "OH SHIT YOU NEED A LIE? FUCK THIS I QUIT SEE YA BITCH" and promptly set fire to the entire library where it explodes and leaves you totally defenceless against narcissistic bastards that invade your personal space and could potentially kill you with their mind.

Yeah.

Don't commit arson kids.

"My patience is wearing extremely thin."

I internally cringe at Naru's intimidating tone and try look at anything except him, but that's proving to be a little difficult considering how close he is.

"Uh..." I mumble, words deciding not to form at my lips due to the total and utter destruction of my brain-library.

Gene! I think, desperately hoping he's still there. A little help would be much appreciated!

I hear a snicker in my head. I don't know, you guys seem to be pretty cosy...

Gene!

Yeah nah I'm gonna pass - have fuuuun!

GENE!

I feel him leave my head in an instant.

I didn't realise before, but when he was there, it was like there was a thin layer of candy floss blanketing my brain that purred slightly when he talked. Or, thought.

And yes, I do mean candy floss, not some other fluffy thing. I don't care if you think it's weird, but I'm telling you it was candy floss - almost as though his presence in my mind was sugary sweet and... pink.

And of course now I've lost my brain-library, the absence of my candy floss pal really hits me hard.

Damn shit just gets weirder by the second.