Chapter 5 - Case 1

To whom it may concern - if anyone asks questions about future plot lines, I won't answer because I think it makes it more interesting if you don't know what to expect :)

NOW TO THE CHAPTEEEERR

I don't own ghost hunt :(

...

Still Early Friday Evening

...

Think Bex, come up with some believable excuse, you can do this no problem! You can score full marks on an English essay and a French exam, this should be easy peasy lemon-

"He told me."

Wow. Real creative. 5 gold stars to my genius.

I hate myself.

"He told you." Naru said, clearly not believing my wonderful bluff. "Because I know Lin, and believe me, he is not the type to thoughtlessly hand out his personal information to an idiotic school girl."

Just gonna ignore that insult right there.

"Are you sure?" I press, really trying to make myself seem believable. "Because when he fell, he seemed pretty out of it, which MUST be why he mentioned his name." I lied.

Oh my god I am such a bad liar he is totally not gonna buy that, you moron.

His response was to shoot me an odd, unreadable look.

"Make sure you'll be outside the old school house at 4:30 to start work."

And then he left.

Oh.

Well that was unexpected and... easy.

Crisis averted!

Well, for now at least.

..

Friday Evening

...

Well, detention was fun fun FUN! Miss ahi... Ashi... What was her name? Well Miss Whats-her-name gave me some higher level maths paper, which I assume was supposed to be an attempt to 'catch me out' on my 'play' at being smart, and if I didn't complete it in two hours, she said the detentions would continue until I could finish the on paper within the time limit. The thing is, I didn't have two hours, as school ends at 3 and I needed to meet Naru at 4:30, so naturally I completed it as fast as humanly possible.

She left the room for 20 minutes.

When she came back, she'd brought a nice cup of steaming hot tea to drink as she watched me all beady eyed, revelling in my suffering.

Of course, I'd finished the paper before she made it back to the room.

When I claimed so, she snatched the paper from my desk in disbelief, hot tea forgotten, and flicked through it, seeing for herself that my claim was true. She then proceed to sneer at me.

"There's no way that you managed to actually pass the test in that amount of time." She accused me, pointing a bony finger in my direction

"If you haven't, then you have just earned yourself a detention for the rest of the school year, wretched brat."

I then proceeded to exit the classroom, ignoring her smug look, which by the way I can't wait to wipe off that face of hers.

Because I scored full marks.

"Mai, you're early."

Naru's voice pulled me out from my daydream and I hopped up from my sitting position on the grass.

"My detention finished early so I thought I may as well wait here until you arrive."

He nodded, as though accepting the fact and started walking towards a black van that I just so happened to miss previously, where he opened the boot and handed me some boxes and various pieces of metal before telling me to follow him, as he also carried some equipment through to the school house. He started explaining about the equipment, the principals concerns and other facts about the case but I sorta zoned out and allowed my eyes to explore the interior of the old school house instead.

Every single step I take, the floorboards creak underneath my weight - and this body isn't exactly fat either (though my dislike of exercise isn't going to help that much...) - and the fact that this building is practically created from wood alone is quite unsettling. I mean, thinking back, have I ever entered a large building completely made of wood, that makes eerie noises when you walk, has dust floating around in very crook and genuinely causes goosebumps because of the spooky atmosphere?

Well I have now, so I'd better tick that off the bucket list.

"Mai, did you catch that?"

"Huh?"

I quickly turn my head to face him and notice that he's put all of his equipment down on a table, so I look around and place the boxes I was carrying onto a table to my left and stretch out my arms in front of me.

"I said that this is where we'll set up base." Naru says, sighing as though he has to deal with a child.

"Okay okay I hear you! So what should I do now then?"

He starts to walk out of the musty room and when he gets the doorframe, he turns his head around to face me and says

"Set up the shelves for me. I'm going to get the rest of the materials."

Then he left.

Mumbling to myself, I arrange his supplies left on the tables in a way that resembles a set of shelves. I have no clue if that's how they're supposed to look but hey, looks okay for a first try! With nothing much else to do, I stare out of the large set of lattice windows, noticing the now glowing copper-coloured sunset. Is it really that late? I wonder what time it is now... God normally I'd have my phone on me and I could check, but does Mai even have a phone? Maybe I could-

"Boo."

Holy frickamoley there goes one of my lives out of the window and I think I see my stomach out there too.

"Holy Mother Mary of God you scared me half to death WHAT is wrong with you?" I huffed, annoyed and pretty flushed.

"Sorry. You just seemed so out of it I couldn't resist." Naru said with a smirk and feigning innocence holding a large black bag over his right shoulder.

"Just because you're smart and handsome does NOT mean you can go about scaring people to death like that!" I scold, still extremely embarrassed at how much I jumped when all he said was 'boo'.

Smirking he looked at me, dead in the eye.

"You think I'm handsome?"

Oh god.

"You've got good taste."

...Wow.

What a egotistic little fudger.