Clothing Shopping

Word count: 1,103

Type: Tronnor AU/alternative universe (Connor works at a clothing store and they've never met)

-

Troye

I walked through the shirt aisle, trying to find the perfect item that would be fancy but also casual. I picked out three different ones (and I didn't really like any of them) and headed for the changing stalls, my feet already hurting. Before I got there, a shirt hanging on the other side caught my eye. It was a long sleeved button down that was a blue color with a small and subtle floral pattern.

I walked over and took it off the shelf, disappointed to find it wasn't my size. I scanned through the other sizes but it seemed that my size was missing. I sat down on the side bench, annoyed and not even wanting to shop anymore. Why did my friends have to set me up on this blind date, anyway? I glanced at my watch, realising I only had a few hours before I had to be at the restaurant with the perfect outfit. No pressure.

"Can I help you with anything, sir?" A voice in front of me made me jumped. I tilted my head upwards to find a man with fluffy brown hair and green eyes standing next to the shirts. His shirt had the store logo printed to the pocket and his hand was resting against the display table casually. I read the name tag fastened to his shirt: Connor Franta.

"Umm," I said, realising I hadn't answered his question. "Well I was actually wondering if you had one of those shirts in size small." My voice sounded more timid than I had planned, but he only laughed slightly in response, making me relax a little more. I wasn't the most put together around strangers.

"No worries," he said, noticing my hesitation. "I'll check in the back to see if we have any left." He looked at the shirts I was interested in and smirked slightly. "Good choice," he said before disappearing into the back of the store.

I stood up, slightly thrown off by his friendliness. In a few minutes the employee, er, Connor, was back and smiling at me.

"Looks like it's your lucky day," he said as he held out a shirt. "There's one left."

"Thanks," I said, taking the shirt and standing there awkwardly.

"What are you waiting for?" the man laughed slightly, "Go try it on."

I giggled slightly, turning away from him. "Okay."

I changed into the shirt quickly once inside the stall and buttoned up the shirt. I stepped out and looked into the mirror, adjusting but unsure of whether I liked it or not. Ug, why did all clothes look so bad on me?

"It looks great," I heard a familiar voice and realised I had said all that out loud. I turned to see Connor as he was folding jeans.

I rolled my eyes, trying to hide the blush that threatened to creep across my cheeks. "You're probably paid to say that," I said under my breath.

"Nah, I think it looks great on you," he insisted. "It brings out your pretty, blue eyes." If I wasn't blushing before, I definitely was now.

"But what if it's too fancy?" I doubted myself. The man put down the jeans, looking at me.

"What's the occasion?"

"Oh," I sighed, looked down at my feet. "Just some stupid date my friends set me up with."

He nodded, tiltng his head as he examined my outfit. "I think you look great. If your date doesn't see that then she's obviously blind."

"H-he," I said quietly, not used to compliments. He raised his eyebrow, but as I turned away I noticed a slight smile form on his lips.

"I wouldn't worry about it," he continued.

"Okay," I said at my reflection. I guess it did kind of bring out my eyes. "I'll get it."

After I paid at the register and after Connor and I shared some of our awful dating stories, I finally looked at the clock.

"Shit!" I said frantically. "I'm supposed to be there right now." I turned to Connor, "I got to go. But thanks for the help."

He just shook his head, smiling. He surprised me my placing his hand on my shoulder. "No problem. Have fun on your date . . ."

". . . Troye," I said, "With an e."

Connor grinned. "Troye with an e. That's cute."

I blushed again but turned away before he could see. "See ya," I waved as I left. Maybe it was stupid to say that because I'd probably never see him again, but a little part of me hoped that I would.

"See ya, Troye."

I left the store and walked down the street, the smile not leaving my face. I reached the restaurant and looked around to find that my "date" hadn't even arrived yet. I sighed and leaned against the wall outside, wishing I was back at the store and talking to Connor instead.

I waited there for a good thirty minutes before a figure walked up to me.

"Hey," he said, "Are you Troye?"

"Um, y-yeah," I said uncomfortably. He looked disappointed, not to mention he didn't even acknowledge how late he was. "Well, let's go," he said, sounding annoyed, and walked past me towards the restaurant doors. I followed hesitantly. What was up with his attitude?

As I was about to go in, I noticed a lump in my pocket as I saw my reflection in the glass door. Confused, I pulled out a slip of paper I didn't remember putting there. I opened it up to see a phone number written on with neat, cursive handwriting. I was confused until I saw who it was signed by.

~ Connor <3

I couldn't help the smile that took over my face. I looked up to see my date giving me a strange look. I sighed.

"Okay," I spoke up, "It seems like neither of us really wants to be here, at least I don't. I don't really have a liking to rude, annoying strangers, you know. I like to think I'm a nice person, but I don't feel like being exceptionally nice right now. So if you would excuse me, I think I've had enough of this date. I have other people I'd rather be with at the moment."

I turned around before he could reply but I still saw the dumbfounded look he had on his face. I smiled slightly, and then I left.

I looked at the slip of paper and formed a quick text.

Hi, it's Troye. :) It looks like my plans have changed. See u soon?

I clicked send and started back to the clothing store.