Chapter 3 - Countdown

Damon walked into a dark room, the candles on the bedside table were the only source of a faint light. He started exploring the room with his eyes. He knew this place, but he couldn't remember where he had seen it. Damon heard some voices in the opposite corner of the room, he turned towards it. He saw an old-fashioned king-seized bed. Obviously, there was a couple in it. Damon decided to check who was it, he started approaching the bed slowly. When he was close enough to recognize the couple, he froze at the sight of his brother with Elena. Both naked. He couldn't say anything. His dead heart was devastated. They were kissing, Stefan was caressing Elena's breasts, while she was stroking gently his hair. Damon couldn't stand it any longer, he wanted to rip Stefan's heart out of his chest. He growled and tried to grab his brother by his throat, but he couldn't touch him. Something clicked in Damon's head.

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD, CAROLINE!" shouted he.

Caroline laughed, crossed her arms on her chest and tilted her head to the left. She was standing at the wall while Damon was sitting chained up to the chair in the middle of the room. Damon was sweating, he was pale and extremely bloodthirsty. His veins were burning, he didn't know how long he had been there. He looked around the room. It was cold and damp in there. Damon assumed that they were in the basement, but he wanted to know exactly.

"Where are we?" asked he without looking in her eyes.

"In my house. More precisely, in my basement." replied Caroline polishing her nails.

"Are you really that stupid? Do you think that they won't check your house? Everybody can enter it since Liz is gone."

"Damon... Damon... I might be blonde, but I'm not dumb. I had sold the house before I turned off my humanity. I compelled the new owner to do what I want him to do."

Anger rose in Damon, he tried to break the chains, but he was too weak.

"Easy..." said Caroline smirking.

"Screw you, Caroline! What do you want?!"

Caroline rolled her eyes, came closer to Damon and crouched down, so that she could look him in the eyes. All of a sudden, Damon's changed, dark veins appeared under his eyes, and he showed his fangs hissing. Caroline didn't move, she grinned instead.

"You don't scare me anymore, Damon. And I'm not the toy you used to have."

"I thought you are over it."

"I thought the same. But you know... When I turned off my humanity I realized that I was pushing it away because you were Elena's friend, and later her boyfriend. Now, I don't care. But I don't want to starve you, it won't be fun if you are unconscious..."

Caroline stood up and left the room for a moment. She came back holding  a little phial filled with blood in her hand.

"Drink it." ordered she.

"I don't want it."

Caroline sped to Damon and pour the blood into his mouth.

"Good boy."

Damon was sitting with his head down. Caroline's phone rang. She checked it. It was Stefan.

"Your brother is so annoying..."

She picked up the phone.

"Seriously, Stefan. Stop calling me or I will kill him."

"Caroline, please. Stop it. It's not you. If you still have some feelings for me ..."

"Here's the thing Stefan. I don't. You missed your chance."

"But now I realized that I care about you and I.."