Chapter 8 - Plan A

Caroline frowned, she had to think it through. Did it mean that Klaus actually admitted his feelings for her? She blinked few times in astonishment.

"Wait... Do you mean..." She started hesitantly, but Klaus quickly interrupted her.

"You know what I meant, love." An original vampire said coldly. "Once again I've put your life at risk." He was trying to avoid looking into her eyes, but Caroline approached him and cupped his face in her hands.

"Hey... Whatever is going on... It's not your fault. I know that you would never hurt me." Caroline told him staring deeply in his blue eyes. She felt a little bit awkward since they had never been that close before.

"But it is my fault, Caroline!" Klaus let a growl out of his throat. Scared by his reaction, she recoiled and lowered her head. "My wicked mother wants to sacrifice you in a ritual because now she feels a sudden urge to salvage her children from a curse she once put on us!" Klaus shouted in uncontrollable anger. "What I haven't mentioned yet is that all the vampires from our bloodline will die." He looked up and saw how terrified she was of his behavior. Klaus gasped and walked up to her. "Forgive me... I shouldn't have..."

"I understand." Caroline answered quietly. "I know that you've been through really tough things, so have I. We just have to work together, we'll find some way to deal with it." She placed her hand on his arm.

Klaus raised his eyes and looked at Caroline. She was full of compassion and kindness, though he had done so many bad things to her and her friends. "Thank you." He whispered almost inaudibly.

Caroline couldn't help herself, seeing him so devastated and sad made her genuinely throw her hands around his neck and hug him.

"Agh! I don't know whether it is sweet or gross...." They heard a melodic female voice. In a few seconds Klaus had his hand on a woman's neck, she was pinned against the wall by him.

"I'm not sure if it's bravery or just stupidity, Katerina." Klaus smirked at her.

"Please call me Katherine." She answered forcing a fake smile.

"Do you have a death wish, doppelganger?" An original hybrid hissed and plunged his hand in her chest.

"Klaus! Stop!" Caroline yelled and grabbed his hand.

"Listen to her." Katherine said gasping heavily. "We're in the same team now."

Caroline looked at Katherine curiously. Why did she come back? What did she mean by saying that they're in the same team now?

"I'm sorry, Caroline, but this is a.... " He didn't have a chance to finish his sentence since he was pushed away forcefully.

"Do not lay a finger on her, Niklaus." A tall vampire said with a deep British accent.

"Elijah..." Katherine gasped in surprise. "Are you alright?"

"Brother! Why are you protecting her?" Klaus asked reproachfully pointing at Katherine.

"As much as I loathe her, we need her alive." Katherine, Klaus and Caroline looked towards the front door and saw a blonde girl stepping in.

"Seriously? Are you having some sort of a family meeting in my house?" Caroline rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Nice to see you too, Caroline." Rebekah faked a smile.

"We owe you an apology, Ms. Forbes." Elijah started, but she cut him off.

"Just Caroline. I know it's an urgent situation, but can you tell me what the hell is going on with you two?" She replied gesturing at him and Rebekah.