IV. Sonic the Hedgehog

The lab looked just like it did the last time I had seen it, with minor add-ons; it seemed to be covered in an even brighter white, and the windows were bigger. Along with that, the garage on the side had grown, and not just a few inches. It was now half the size tall of the lab, which was larger than your average house. With two stories, each story seeming like they roamed on forever, there was so much to explore. I wanted to run around and find out all the secrets that lay within, though they weren't promised to be very exciting. Tails, on the other hand, would find them fascinating. It made me smile to think about him.

No robots or people greeted us by the door. It was as if all the life had been sucked from the lab, which used to be used for refuge back in the day. Roll used to be towering over her brother, worried sick for him, and I used to be asleep - the thought reminded me of how sleepy I was, making me yawn.

"Sonic," Rock suddenly turned to me, and I blinked up at him. He looked down and shifted his feet. "What if Roll's in there? I don't know how to deal with her."

"Do whatever your heart tells you." I shrugged, peeking around the hall. I didn't see anyone.

"That's the thing," he replied. "My heart-"

"Says to help her, but your mind says to attack," I finished. His mouth was still open as if he was going to keep saying something. He frowned, as if he wanted an explanation. "Look, Rock," I looked to the ground as I recalled painful memories, "this isn't my first rodeo. I know how these things go. The ending, however... that isn't up to us. No matter what we do, sometimes..." I looked at him and shrugged, trying to put on a smile, "things just happen."

Still, he stared at me. Then he buried his face in his hands. "We have to attack. Either way, Dad will be disappointed."

"Then that's what I'll do, Rock," I touched his shoulder, trying to make him feel better. I couldn't imagine the pain he was going through. His whole family, besides his father, had been corrupted... If they had been captured, maybe it wouldn't have been so hard. But the fact that he had to fight them only made us more similar and everything harder. "I'm on your side."

He looked up and sighed. "Right." His face turned to the lab, but he was still hesitant.

"I'll go in first," I offered, wrapping my hand around the handle. He had made me nervous. Any version of Roll other than the sweet one that got mad when we weren't careful sounded scary!

I opened up the door, and I noticed something different right away; there was a strange smell. It was like a chemical mixed with strawberries. It was almost sweet. I could still breathe, so I took a few more steps in, carefully keeping an eye out for any sign of Roll.

After a few yards, I came to the room with the giant monitor, and my head began to pound. Everything around me began to move slightly slower. There was something wrong. Along with that, Dr. Light was sprawled out on the ground, and I had the prickly feeling on my neck of someone watching me.

I twirled around to see Mega Man following me. He stared at Dr. Light as if he were some kind of trap. I looked from him to Dr. Light, knowing that he was frozen. My eyelids suddenly began to droop. Only one thought ran through my mind as I dashed towards his father, setting off whatever trap Mega Man was expecting: he needs his father.

Roll fell from the ceiling and toppled on to me, pinning me to the ground. Her figure was changed so much it made me freeze. Instead of her normal dress, she was wearing a red suit. Her face bore an unnatural grimace. Her hair was the only thing that seemed to have stayed the same. "I thought the sleeping gas would stop at least you," she spat, as if she was disgusted. How did she know I was back in town?