Chapter Fourteen - Recovery

________________________

 'I can't make it tonight.' His voice came out of no where. I grabbed my chest in surprise and let out a breath.

'Jesus Lucas,' I scolded, 'don't do that.'

'Well how else am I supposed to contact you?' He laughed.

'I don't know.' I smiled as I closed my eyes and turned over in my bed. I've been on bed rest ever since the almost fight, which has been two days. Penny assured me that the dance was coming along nicely, mostly because we were nearly finished before all this happened.

My neck was healing but I'd lost a lot of blood so I had been a little out of it. 'I'll miss you.' I whispered back.

'I miss you already.' He sighed, 'but Alpha duties call.'

'Pack meeting in Hibbing?' I questioned.

'How'd you know?' He seemed surprised.

I laughed, 'My dad's an Alpha, you know that, right?'

'Pshh.' He joked, 'I knew that.'

Grinning I pulled the covers over my head in an attempt to stop myself from getting giddy. Lucas made me feel normal and happy, even though practically all day I'd been complaining about my neck pain to anyone who'd listen.

I honestly couldn't believe I ever thought that living without Lucas could even be an option. Now that I was older, well older than 16, I'd give up everything for him. I wasn't supposed to live with my family forever anyway, I was supposed to meet my mate and move on. Call them and see them occasionally, yes but I had a feeling if they knew that Lucas was my mate, they'd never speak to me again.

'Goodnight, Rose.' His voice was soft.

'Goodnight Lucas.' I whispered back.

______________

Turning over in my bed I stared at the dark ceiling. I was tired and I couldn't do anything about it. Looking at the alarm clock on my side table I groaned, it was only 4:33.

I threw the covers off me and sat up. I stretched my sore muscles before I slid out of bed. I flicked the light on and caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. Gasping I cover my mouth with my right hand as my left hand traced the bite marks on my neck. It was black and blue with red puncture marks.

I blinked as my vision blurred and that caused the release of tears. I didn't want to be weak, I could handle this. I hopped into the shower, letting the water wash away my worries. I showered until my fingers were pruned and then I had to decided what I wanted to wear to school.

School. Yes I was going back, my dad wasn't here to tell me otherwise plus the dance was one day away. I had to make sure everything was perfect.

Even though I woke up crazy early, I was now running late. I ran a hand through my hair as I took one last glance in the mirror before I threw my bag over my shoulder and made my way out.

The drive to school was short and as I parked, I felt every eye on me. I could feel the shock from everyone as I strutted my way inside. Lucas' pack kept giving me side glances of disbelief and I bit my lip to hide my smile. I was attack, lost a lot of blood and was back in school within the week, I could see why they were in disbelief.