Chapter Eight - The Arrangement

________________________

Hovering over the number that I’ve memorized in the last two years I felt the butterflies as usually but I also felt something new. Something I wasn’t used to.

Finally after almost three hours of staring at his name I got the courage to press down on the number. I clamped my eyes shut, afraid to lift my finger cause I knew the damage was done. Regret filled me to the core but I couldn’t stop from bringing the phone up to my ear as I slowly released my finger from the screen. The ringing from the phone could be heard and I gulped as I waited. And waited.

As usual he didn’t answer and I was disappointed but also overwhelmingly relieved. After Luke’s usual greeting I sucked in a breath, could this be the day I actually speak to him? Opening my mouth after the silence enveloped around me and I made a split second decision, letting out a little squeak, I ended the call.  

Nicely done Rose. I scolded myself and threw my phone across the room. It landed gently on my bed and I sighed. At least it didn’t break. My dad would have for sure killed me, I’ve gotten in so much trouble already as it is.

Running over to the bed as a chime went off I stared at the phone in disbelief. He called me back. Would he know it’s me? I declined the call and waited, would he leave a voicemail?

A new chime rang out and the screen read new voicemail. Again my heart pounded faster in my chest. I just stared at the screen scared at what I’d hear on the other end of the phone.

I wasn’t prepared for what awaited me. I wasn’t even expecting what came next.

I quickly pressed the button to listen to his voice and was surprised at the voice that spoke over the speaker.

“Who is this? If you are one of my boyfriend’s fuck toys I swear I’ll rip your throat out. Stay away from Lucas.” My first thought was I called the wrong number but then she said his name. That broke me. Tears fell down my cheeks and I pulled the phone away from my ear.

I was stupid to think that he’d actually changed his mind like I did, that we’d be together, like mates. Like why did she have his phone in the first place?

A knock at my door caused me to jump , dropping my phone in the process. “Shit.” I cursed picking it up and walking over to the door.

Standing there was a very nice looking boy, he had messy blond hair and baby blue eyes but he had nothing on Lucas.

“Hey?” I questioned when he just stared at me.

“You must be Rose.” He smiled, showing off his perfect white teeth.

“Rosaline, actually.” I told him, trying to keep my voice polite. I could tell he wasn’t from my pack so I had to try extra hard.  He seemed pleased that responded the way I had by the smirk on his face. “And you are?”