Chapter Eighteen - Secrets

______________________

Leaving Lucas' comforting embrace was hard, possibly the hardest thing I've ever done. But I had to get back to the pack before they noticed I was gone, if they hadn't already.

"I'll miss you." He whispered, letting my hand go as we walked onto our seperate pack lands.

"I'll miss you more." I bit back a smile as he laughed.

"Doubt it."

I giggled and then sighed when I really had to leave his side. "See you tonight? I miss sleeping next to you. I can never stay asleep." I crinkled my nose.

A smile lit up his cute face. "I'll see you tonight." He agreed and then he turned to walk away and I pouted and walked back to my house.

I was the first one back, which surprised me, I'd been gone for a good fifteen minutes and knew that I would have been the only one left.

"Rose?" Penny huffed as she came from the woods. "Did you get tired too?" She asked as she made her way over to me. She hardly made it three steps before Rex came out of the trees and wrapped his arms around her waist, placing a delicate kiss on her temple.

I nodded even though the run didn't even make me sweat. "Yeah, I came back here to wait for you guys."

"Penny was so good, she really kept up with the pack." Rex bragged, his face holding nothing but pride.

Penny blushed and hid her face in her hands. I laughed, "Penny is amazing!" I agreed and she snorted.

"Please stop." She pleaded. Rex and I exchanged an amused look which Penny groaned at. "Can we talk about anything else?"

The rest of the pack showed up minutes later and we all went inside to prepare dinner, well the women did and the men went to do whatever men do. I walked into the kitchen and made my way to Penny's side.

"Need help?" I smiled pulling out the chair next to her.

She grinned over at me, "Please." She handed me a bag of potatoes and I laughed. I loved peeling potatoes, ever though your hands get all slimy.

"You know you can tell me anything.. right?" Penny sighed after a few moments of silence.

"Of course." I rushed out, my stomach twisting in knots.

She nodded her head and bit her lip like she was stopping herself from asking a question. She knew something. "I have to tell you something later." I whispered when I looked around at all the ears in the room.

"You don't have too." She gave me a small smile. "I didn't mean to pressure you at all. I just want you to know that I'm here if you need me."

"I want too." I gave her the biggest grin I could muster, "You're my best friend."

Her eyes snapped to me, a look of surprise covering her face. "You mean it?" She whispered quietly, unleashed tears in her eyes. I nodded my head and a second later she had me wrapped in a hug. "I've never had a best friend before, or really any friend before." She laughed, wiping under her eyes.

"Me either." I agreed. Penny and I grew up completely different, I was an Alpha and she an omega but our lives were basically the same. That's why I think we made such good friends, we knew what it was like to have no one.

We went back to the potatoes with some chit chat and constant laughing.

"There's my Baby." Rex's voice interrupted our conversation as he came up next to her, placing a kiss on her cheek that was tinted a deep red. I smiled and he nodded to me in greeting. "Your laugh is adorable, it's honestly the cutest thing I've ever heard."

"Right!" I agreed, "She's so cute." I pinched her cheek and she pushed my hand away laughing.

"Guys." She giggled.

Rex's eyes crinkled as he stared at Penny, his grin covering his whole face as he chuckled with her. The love was real with these two.

I resisted my awe as I bit my lip and smiled at them. I couldn't help it. "Awe. You guys are so cute. I can't handle you two right now." I squealed in delight.

They both rolled their eyes and my outburst which only made me laugh again.

Dinner was long and I tapped my foot as I waited for everyone to be dismissed. Finally my father and mother stood up and left, which meant we were free to move about the cabin. Or how ever that is used.

I grabbed Penny's hand and pulled her with me as I made my way outside, Rex close behind. Jumping into the yard I laughed and let go of her hand. I smiled as I spun in a circle, my arms stretch out.

"Are you okay?" Penny laughed. I stopped spin and looked over at her, Rex had his arms around her waist as they both stared at me, matching grins on their faces.

"I'm good." I laughed, "It was a long dinner that's all." I laid on the ground just as about 15 children made their way from the house, probably to play soccer or something. "I'm so tired." I muttered, the ground feeling a lot softer than I thought.

"Rose?" A voice drew me back to consciousness. My eyes flew open and was disappointed when I didn't see Luke beside me. Whenever I slept on the ground, I usually woke up to Lucas. I missed him even though it's only been a few hours.

"Come on." Penny laughed trying to help me up. I felt so empty, so lost. I'd been happy just a few moments ago but now I couldn't stopping think about his honey eyes. "Are you alright?" She seemed so concerned.

I just nodded and tried to give them a smile, which neither of them bought.

"Okay." Penny nodded, I could tell that she wanted to help me but it wasn't something she could fix.

I sighed, "Wanna go for a walk?"

They both nodded and followed me as I lead the way down the long drive way. Once we were far enough away that I was certain we couldn't be overheard I stopped.

I was really going to do this, I was going to tell someone.

I bit my lip and sucked in a giant breath. Here goes nothing.

__________

"What?" Penny shrieked and Rex was shaking his head, amusement shone in his eyes. "But we hate them. They're our enemies."

"I know." I sighed, "But I can't help who I'm mated to. Besides rejecting him didn't seem to be going so well."

"Rejection?" Rex face paled, "You rejected your mate?"

I nodded, "My father would have been beyond pissed."

Penny nodded her head, her shoulders hunched as she stared at me with pity, "It all makes sense now." I bit my lip to stop from crying but it felt nice to have someone know. "I never understood why you'd warn the enemy of our attack, why you put yourself on the line for them."

"I had to keep him safe, even if we could never be together."

"So.." Rex started, staring at me, calculating, "What are you guys now? You working it out?"

"We're working it out." I shrugged, "He's saved me more than I can count and he makes me feel...alive."

"You slept next to him then." Rex nodded, like a statement not a question.

"Well..how'd you-?"

"You smelt like him after that party we went to." His voice was soft, "I'm sorry about that by the way."

I shrugged him off, "It's fine." And then it clicked, "You sent me home, so I could be with him."

Rex nodded, "I noticed that you hadn't been sleeping that well and I pieced it together, like a detective."

Penny and I laughed, hugging both of them in an awkward group hug type thing. "We're still going to be your friends even though you're mated to him." Penny smiled.

I grinned, it was exactly what I needed. I needed to be reassured that even if I mated with Lucas, I'd still have someone to lean on.