Chapter Five - Assembly

_________________

I walked alone down the hallway. I got stares and glares from mostly everyone. To my pack I was known as the traitor and to Lucas’s pack I was the enemy. So to say I was an outsider was the understatement of the century.

I got pushed and shoved as I made my way to the library, my one solace. No one ever bothered me there, at least I could pretend to be in my own little world.

Setting my things on the empty table near the back I felt eyes on me and knew people were staring, the people at the table next to me packed up their things and left quickly after I sat down. Good, I thought, I don’t need them any how.

Just as I pulled all my homework out of my bag and was beginning to work I noticed something that made my stomach tie in knots. In the opposite corner Lucas was with a girl...kissing…

I felt broken all of a sudden. I down casted my eyes as they filled with tears and tried hard to ignore the pain I felt. But no matter how much I stared at my trig assignment, I couldn’t concentrate. After a few minutes I looked over, I couldn’t help it. They weren’t kissing anymore but to me it was worse.

Lucas was looking into her eyes, a gigantic grin on his face. My heart hurt as I looked at him. I know that this was my fault and that I was the one to cause this to happen but I was 16! Who in their right mind would want to find there mate at 16!?  No cute dates with different guys to find your match, no upsetting stories of failed dates to tell your kids. Nothing. Most, if not all, are perfect love stories.

But now that I’ve been without him for two years, all I wanted was him.

Sighing I shook my head. At least he was happy, that was what I wanted right? Right. I nodded my head agreeing with myself. I probably looked like a crazy person so I just pretended I was working a math problem.

New plan. I have to leave. Now.

I packed up my things as quickly as possible, the new plan already forming in my mind. Glancing one last time to their corner, where the happy couple was laughing ridiculously, I made my way outside. School wasn’t over yet but how could I sit there and watch them?

Outside had a bite to it and it felt good on my skin. Winter was coming, I could feel it. Maybe I could go somewhere warm? That’d be nice.

Making my way across the lot I smelt something that wasn’t right. It was familiar, yet, I couldn’t quite place it. My heartbeat quickened as the smell disappeared with the wind. I shook my head and went across the field, that held a gym class. Sitting under a tree, I pulled my sweater closer to my body along with my knees as I resting my chin on them.

Tears slipped down my cheeks and I closed my eyes. I couldn’t leave, that was the thing. Not unless my parents could come with and if my parents went, the whole pack would have to be uprooted and I couldn't do that to them.

I’d have to stick this out no matter how hard it was going to be. “Assembly!” A voice echoed through the school. I opened my eyes and saw the gym class making there way back inside. I sat there for a moment until I finally heaved myself off the ground before I made my way back into the school. You know since I couldn’t leave, I didn’t want to get into trouble and trust me, they’d know if I was there or not.