Chapter Seven - Dangling Over The Edge

___________________

The bell rang out and I had to push all thoughts of Lucas away. I needed to be in class, the warriors would for sure notice if I wasn’t plus what they would do when the realized Lucas wasn’t there either. It would only raise more questions and bring lots of trouble along with it.

Making my way down the stairs I felt him behind me. “Wait.” His voice was frantic.

I paused mid step as I heard the voices too. The doorknob began to twist and my heart raced. I couldn’t be caught with Luke! And he, of course, couldn’t be caught with me either.

Luke’s fingers entwined with mine and pulled me back up the stairs just as the door fully opened. “Shh.” He hushed as he quickly ushered me into the little room near the back. Opening the window he got out first and then offered me his hand. The roof was almost fully slanted and one wrong move could lead to your death. I gripped his hand tightly and let him steady me.

“You okay?” He whispered as he helped move me so he could shut the window.

“Yeah.” I nodded and shuffled my feet so I could remain balanced. My right foot slipped, letting out a gasp I reached around for something to grab onto when Lucas’s hand shot out to pull me up and by his side. “Thanks.” I breathed as I looked at the ground below.

His grip around my waist tightened as we made our way into a little cove so we wouldn’t be seen. The cove was tiny, but it was flat and cozy with two people.

Luke let me go instantly I was on the flat roof before he ran a hand through his hair as he bit his lip. I sat on the ground, bring my knees up so I could rest my chin on them, looking up at Luke I got butterflies in my stomach.

His brown hair was disheveled as his golden eyes looked down on me. Letting out a sigh and he shifting his gaze to the brick wall he sat down across from me.

“How long do you think we’re going to be up here?” I asked curiously.  

He sighed, heavier this time, “I’m not sure, at least an hour.”

I nodded my head and felt a breeze blow around my hair. “So...Miranda’s your sister?” I questioned.

Luke chuckled, “Yeah, she’s two years below us.”

“How come I’ve never heard of her?” I asked, “I mean, I’m pretty sure I would have been told about her at some point.”

His face turned cold and he shook his head, “Forget about it.”

“What?”

“Just forget I said anything.” He growled. I shrunk back in fear and nodded. Don’t mention his sister. Got it.