Chapter 4

Paytah

For not having much physical exercise, I feel as if I could run forever. It feels good, so good. The heavy breathing, the heart pumping so loud, cheering me on, telling my mind that it can handle it. Before all this shit happened to me, I exercised daily. I almost couldn't go without it, my body craved it.

I run swiftly through the grass, not having a destination. I'm hoping I'll find a town, find people. It's probably been an hour since I split up with the other elements.

The other elements. Aira, Juris, Lana....

It's all been..strange. The fact that any elements were together is quite a story. But whoever is doing all this crap wants elements to get along.

And I just happened to be a subject in their test.

It makes no sense, when I was taken. I barely even fought them when the strange men grabbed me. I struggled a bit yes, questions spilling out of my mouth.

But I had nothing to fight for.

No family, no life that I actually had cared to live for. Yes, I have parents, but they aren't mine. They were nice foster parents, the best I've had yet. But I didn't even realize why the men were taking me. I thought it was some foster thing, like my new family had given me away.

"Do we even need to use the sedative?" One of the men asked.

"I guess. Just in case." The other said, then I was out.

When I woke up in that white room I realized this wasn't right. It wasn't my foster parents who gave me away, it was the strange men who simply took me away from them. That's when I knew that I had to fight. I thought they took me away so they could test me, but not for this.

Because it's rare to have the fire element while both of your parents elements was water.

They didn't even realize it, my parents, until I was four. That's when I learned my element. That's when my eyes had changed slowly into their orange color.

And that's when everyone freaked out.

My parents didn't even go near me. They called some number, and then I was taken away. I was so confused, so sad to see my parents just let me go. The look on their faces when they realized my element wasn't water made the four-year-old me feel guilty. Like
it was all my fault that I was who I was.

But I learned at an early age that being with other elements was bad.

And a little while ago I was just with all three. Even the water element. The element I was supposed to be.

But then I start to think if all the elements did get along. I would still be with my parents. I wouldn't be here, I'd be free.

But somebody had to go through this test in order for that to happen. Maybe if this all worked, if everyone got along, I would be able to see my real parents again...

But do I really want that?

They threw me away like I was nothing. After that, I wasn't one who was exactly..kind to others. I gave no pity, I didn't want pity myself. The other elements realized that fast, that I'm not the comforting type, but the ones who's always on survival mode.

But they have no idea.

"Freeze!" I stop running immediately, staring at the group of men, their guns up and pointed at me.

Shit.

Like hell I thought this whole test would be over already.

I don't care about the guns, they can't kill me, I'm their "subject". I raise my palms, a ball of fire heading straight for them. They all dive different directions, avoiding it. Don't they have elements? Can't they use them against me?

"Don't move or we will shoot!" I man yells.

"Test someone else!" I yell back, another ball of fire coming out of my palms.

"You don't understand! You're important! You are helping this world change for the better!" The same man yells.

A man comes up from behind and grips my shoulder, and I turn around and punch him in the jaw, causing sparks to fly.

Man, I'm sure glad I got the fire element though. The water element wouldn't suit me anyway.

"Come on pretty boy, relax! The others are already with us. We need you!" He yells again. I try to search for him, but there's too many men. They already got the others, which means none of the elements could escape these men. Not Aira, who seems smart. Hell, not even dumbass Juris or loudmouth Lana.

I quick let out smoke, making it hard for them to see, and I run. I run as fast as my body will let me go. But I don't last long. I feel something sharp on my neck, and I stop immediately. The men have caught up now, and they all cautiously stand around me. I reach for my neck and pull out a small needle, wincing. I look at the guns...

Those weren't real guns.

Of course not, why would I think they would have real guns with real bullets. I suddenly feel so tired...

I fall to my knees, eventually laying on the spiky grass.

"I won't cooperate, with your tests," I spit out. I see a man walk up and kneel down next to me.

"Of course you won't, fireball." It's the sane man who was talking earlier. "But, you will."

"Says who." I say, closing my eyes.

"Says you in just a bit." He pats my shoulder, and I manage to burn him. He curses under his breath and let's go, but then looks back down at me.

"You're special, fire boy," the man grins, "you and the others are just getting started." He walks away, leaving me with so many more questions.

"He should be out by now." I hear another voice, and I let out a laugh.

"Are you all afraid of me? What element are you all, anyway?" I ask. The man next to me just shakes his head. "Too many questions, hotshot. Just go to sleep."

"Is that the only way you can take me? This isn't a fair game," I say.

The man smiles down at me. "Who said there were rules?" Im so tired, I can't fight anymore. My body goes numb and I close my eyes.

"The next phase awaits." I hear the man say, and then I'm out seconds after.

••••••

Hello!!!

So finally a chapter in Paytah's POV!!!!! What do you think of him?? And also about his past?? Pleaseeee comment and vote!!

Shoutout to animalsjam1 for the aesthetic!

Stay awesome, people.