Chapter 11

Juris

Almost dying was not on my list. But Im sure as hell thankful to not have a knife in my body. Thanks to Aira. Also Paytah. And..yeah. I guess Lana. They saved my damn life, and I almost can't believe it.

"So, we're just going to fucking walk and see what happens, for the hundredth time?" Lana asks.

"Unless you have a better idea." Paytah mumbles.

"We sit and hold a grudge." Lana says.

"I kind of just wanna get out of here. You can hold a grudge while we walk." I say, and Lana sighs. Aira stays in the back, looking at her feet. "You okay Aira?"

She glances up, then back down right away. "Yeah. But you know, home would be nice."

"No, I think being here is better."

"Lana, shut the fuck up." Paytah hisses, his face still forward. Lana just snorts and looks around, for...something, I guess.

There's no sign of life here, only tall dead grass and a dirt road. We all walk in silence, hearing Lana moans once in a while. But we keep walking, having no destination.

"Stop." Paytah suddenly says, and we all freeze, looking ahead. I see two shadows, coming towards us fast.

"Should we run?" I ask, my voice quivering.

"No, they are probably dumb scientists again." Lana says.

"I-I don't think so." Aira whispers.

We all stand there as the two figures are even closer, holding guns. They start yelling at us to stay put.

"Shit." Is all I hear from Lana as they stand right in front of us.

It's a boy and a girl, both large, even a tad bigger than Paytah. I watch as water falls from the boys body.

His element is water.

The girl lets out a small laugh, the air making me stumble.

Her element is air.

"What element are you all." The boy asks, his voice filled with darkness.

"Water." Lana says, and the boy nods approvingly. His eyes room to Aira. "Air." She whispers, and he nods once again.

The girl looks at us. "I'm guessing you two are the other ones."

Immediately, Paytah opens his hand, a ball of fire just resting on his palm. I do the same, vines wrapping around my wrist.

"Your coming with us." The boy says.

"What?" Aira asks, clearly nervous.

"Why." Paytah says, his voice filled with no emotion.

"No questions. Both of you boys, come on." The girl says, turning around.

"Wait. How did you two meet?" Paytah asks, holding his ground. "Are you a part of the experiment too?"

"Experiment?" The boy asks, and they both stop. "What do you mean by-"

The loud rumble echoes throughout the land. I look back, seeing the small shadow from the sky.

"That's probably them. Who are you?" Lana asks.

The boy and girl state at the shadow in fear. "Run. Everyone, run!" The boy yells, and we all start following them. I don't know who these guys are, but they don't know anything about the experiment, or the plane flying towards us.

But how am I supposed to believe that two different elements are together by choice?

"Hurry! Almost there!" The girl yells.

"Almost where?" Paytahs asks, like he's not even out of breath. That human being amazes me sometimes.

"Here!" The boy jerks to his right, lifting something out of the ground.

"Underground? Very nice." Lana says, but nobody cares, we all dart into the ground, and the boy closes the door above us.

"Okay, what was that plane doing?" The girl asks, her face red.

"First, who are you? We need to start there." I say.

The boy and girl glance at each other, then look at us.

"We ran away."

"What the hell? You left your element?" Lana asks.

"I'm sick of being separated like this. So I ran away, and found him. We've been trying to find the fire and earth element for months now. And when we saw you guys, we were shocked."

"We're subjects," Paytah says. "people stole us from our homes and forced us together, seeng if we can get along."

"Wait. This is really going to happen?" The boy asks, eyes wide.

"Look, dufus. Fire boy is saying that we're doing this by force. By the scientists, the government. We want to go home, we don't want to be used. But by all means, take me and air girls spot,  fire boy is all tough and vine boy is skinny and weird." Lana says.

"This is why the plane is here. They don't know who you both are, which means it isn't safe for us." I say.

"They need their subjects." Paytah mumbles.

"Do you know how to get home?" Aira asks, her body so much smaller when she tries to cover herself.

"A ways away. But, we don't want to go home. We want you two." The girl points to me and Paytah.

"Go for it."

"Lana!" Aira says, her eyebrows scrunched.

"What's the point?" Paytah asks.

"Cause. We can be all four elements-"

"We already are. We don't want to be. It's all a test, to see if we can get along." I say.

"Can you tell fire boy and I get along so well?"

"Shut up, Lana." Paytah says, his jaw clenched. "The government will kill you. They won't trust you."

"But we want elements to be together. The government would worship us." The girl says proudly.

"I think we need to stick together." Aira says.

"Why? We want to go home, they don't." Lana says.

"I haven't heard the plane. Maybe they lost us." I say, and the boy and girl frown.

"No, we need to see them. We all need to go back. Or at least you two." The boy looks at Paytah and I.

"Never." Paytah says, his fists clenched. The boy takes a step towards Paytah, water falling from his palms. "Yes."

Out of nowhere, a spray of water blows me back, and I hit the ground. Then I see fire, sparks flying and everyone shouting.

"Aira!" I hear Paytah yell, and I feel a gush of air. Though I can't see, I let out vines everywhere. More shouting. It gets dusty, and I can't control my coughing.

"Stop!" I hear Lana, and it all goes silent. It clears up, and all four of us look at each other.

"They escaped." I say.

"They gave away our location." Paytah says quietly.

"Shit." Is all Lana says.

•••

HELLO!! So finally another chapter. It ain't my best, I gotta be honest. But it's been a while so here you go!!!

COMMENT VOTE COMMENT VOTE !!!!

❤️❤️