Chapter 6

Aira

"Who are you?" Juris finally breaks the silence after the strange man talked. The same man that I couldn't see in the white room. But it was him, I knew it was.

"I'm Dr. Hanson, the head scientist in this-"

"Experiment." Lana spits out, but all Dr. Hanson does is smiles. "That word sounds a bit..harsh, don't you think? No, this is simply for the greater good of the people. You all should be very honored that you were chosen."

"Chosen?" My voice is quiet, but Hanson's eyes fall on me immediately.

"Yes, this whole thing has been a big journey. It took months for us to choose the right candidates for this job. Teenagers were our best pick, so it'll be helpful for the next generation to follow you in your footsteps."

"You kidnapped us," Lana says angrily, "I don't remember signing a contract or anything. More like taken by my own will."

Hanson just laughs a little, taking a step towards all of us. "Oh no, I was given permission from the government. Like I said, we've been preparing for a while now, we know what we're doing."

I sit in there in shock. The government allowed for this to happen?

"Then why are you treating us badly? The government must not know that," I say.

"I've been treating you good. You are all just scared, and I know that. I've given you food and water and shelter-"

"He's in a fucking muzzle, you do realize." Lana looks over to Paytah, who looks up at Hanson and glares. Hanson walks up to Paytah, and kneels down next to him, knowing he won't hurt him. He examines the muzzle.

"Oh, yes, sorry my boy. It's necessary." Hanson says. He raises both of his hands, adjusting the muzzle. He moves it a little, and the skin is beat red where the muzzle was. Paytah is angry, it's clear. He looks straight forward as Hanson adjusts it, his jaw clenched. I bet if he could talk there would be a lot of problems.

"It is not necessary," Lana says, and Hanson pats the muzzle and turns to Lana. "Would you like one too? I must say, they aren't exactly..." He looks at Paytah. "Comfortable."

Lana shuts her mouth after that. Hanson smiles and stands back up, looking at all of us.

"You all are the proof that different elements can get along.."

"Why are you trying to make them get along? Isn't it fine how it is now?" Juris asks, and Hanson shakes his head.

"It's working, but it's not the best way. Kids are being taken away from their parents, people are almost addicted to the thought of not being with other elements..."

"That's rare, though. Kids having a different element," I blurt out, and Hanson nods.

"Yes, it's rare. But it still happens. Just think, everyone could be together, get along," Hanson says.

"It would be chaotic. Horrible." Lana mumbles, and surprisingly Hanson nods. "Yes, we considered all the results. That's where you all come in."

"So what's next, then?" Juris asks.

Dr. Hanson's smile is wide, his pale lips almost white now.

"The next phase."

He walks out the door, the guards following.

"You can't just use us like this!" Lana yells, pulling on her cuffs. But the door shuts and the silence is back. I don't even realize I have tears streaming down my face. I look over and see Paytah staring at me. I've got to say, he is a handsome boy. Thick dark brown hair, orange eyes with a tint of red, a few freckles under his eyes, his jawline sharp.

Although there's a secret behind him. He's quiet, but not like my kind of quiet. He doesn't tell any of us about him, he doesn't share private information. Still, I trust him. He seems like the person that could actually get out of here. I feel safe, with his strong built and quick thinking.

"What's the next phase?" Juris asks, once again breaking the silence.

"We all have to fucking sing the abc's to get out. Juris, what kind of question is that." Lana spits out. Her attitude irritates me sometimes. She's straightforward and harsh, the thing that I really don't need right now.

"Just shut up. Juris is right. We should think, be prepared," I say, and Lana stares at me with those dark blue eyes, her brown hair still curly as hell. She sighs, leaning her head back into the wall.

"It's okay Aira. We're gong to be alright," Juris says, smiling. I manage one back, but I can't help but feel sick inside. My parents, I miss my parents. Why haven't they found me yet? Why is the government allowing this?

"Are we?" I ask, more tears spilling down my cheeks. I look over at Paytah, who then gives me a slight nod, trying to give me reassurance. I try to relax, leaning against the wall.

"I'm glad I'm not here alone. I'm glad you guys are here." I say, not even understanding what I'm trying to say.

"This is one for the books, that's for sure," Lana says. "Especially the time in the dome, where Paytah chased me and pinned me to the glass. Good times." I look over at Paytah, who just rolls his eyes. I wonder what he would say if he could talk right now. Something witty, then him and Lana would get into a fight.

"Or the fight you two had in the dome." I say, thinking back to when Paytah almost threw a fire ball at her.

"Let's not talk about that." Lana says, and Juris laughs a little. "Why? Cause you lost?"

"He was going to burn your ass." I laugh.

"If I could punch you all I would." She hisses, but I know she enjoys the little humor we have to offer.

"Save your fight for later." Juris says. "Because we are going to fight, right?"

I see Paytah's head nod, and I nod myself.

"Yes, we're going to fight," I say. "Till the very end."

•••••

Hello!

Sorry this chapter is a little short, it's just that I'm leaving for my cabin and won't be able to post for a few days. So here's a little something😊

Please vote, comment, and share!!

Thanks!