Chapter 27

Trinity
After dinner
A Game of Truth

"Truth or truth?"

"Aight truth.."

"Is it true that I was your first love?" I asked from my position across from manny.

We still hadn't left the theater room and it proved to be the most comfortable. Now that we were full, we decided to play a game of truth. We couldn't touch because we knew that would only end the game.

I secretly wanted to play because this was gonna be my way in telling manny my truth. The questions would remain serious and I aimed to end all secrets.

"I mean I thought I was in love a few years ago. I was wrong af too. I figured love was being there, but I was more in love with how my money could get the bitch to stay. The power and control a dolla could get me. I guess I could say I was still young and new to having endless money that was mine and not my papa's."

"So how did it end?"

"I fell off the map on one of my trips and couldn't phone home. She took my first real stash and moved to Florida. Funny thing is, she think I still don't know. Bitch was basic. Like a lot of these bitches. That's why you, you my first love because it was real from jump and you was so true to yoself. Every time you shot my ass down, you low key made me so hype I wasn't wasting my time." He smiled and looked off.

"That was sweet. I love yo arrogant ass ," I gushed.

"Aight, ma. Truth or truth?"

"Truth."

"Is it true that yo mom left without telling you nothing?"

I put my head down and took a deep breath.

"Before she left, everything was so perfect. We were always a close family and we'd go on trips just me, Chasity and mom. Just all around doing anything for fun. We weren't necessarily rich, but we were well of due to my father dying and my grandparents sending my mom money. She always made sure to save me and Chasity money in separate accounts and make sure she got us everything we needed with the rest. She worked to care for herself being that me and Chasity were taken care of. Anyway, after a while my mom got laid off and she was on a downward spiral. She thought we didn't know, but we could tell. She got me to and from school and disappeared on weekends. Once I graduated and me and Chasity got our own jobs. She stayed for a while and then she just left . She sent us a postcard from Baltimore a month later. It said she was alright and take care of ourselves. That's all I know."

"It's alright. I'll always be here. If you ain't got nobody else, when you down and out. When the smoke clear, I'm right here."

"Kay. Truth or truth?"

"Truuuuuuuth," he sang off key.

I laughed off the seriousness and moved on.

"Is it true that I scared you last night?"

"It's true. You made me feel like a failure. Like I failed to pay you attention. I'm not proud of what you did, but I understand why you did it. You felt alone. You should never have to feel that way. You should always feel like you got me and could talk to me even when you feel at your weakest."

"I know and I should've said something but I was getting so good at my cover up of pretending."

"Pretending what?"

"Pretending to be okay."

"Don't do that again. Just tell me. It never hurt nobody to speak up aight?"

"Alright."

"Truth or truth?"

"Truth."

"Is it true that you had no idea that Marcel was in LA? If so show me what he look like."