Chapter One

*Dan's P.O.V.*

I walked the usual route to school, my pastel purple converse squeaking on the wet side walk. I looked at the sky- gray, as usual. Everyone always asks me why I wear pastels. London is always gray. The sky is always gray, the moods of people are always gray, it's just not very colorful. So, I don't want to give into the gray, if that makes any sense. I like bringing color to this gray, gloomy place. However, not everyone likes my choice of clothes. I've always loved pastels. Except when I was about twelve when I dressed in bright floral shirts because I wanted to be a surfer, but I try to not think about that time. I wear pastel sweaters and flower crowns. I'm used to all the stares I get by now. I'm even used to the snickers and pointing. I'm proud of the way I dress and nothing is going to change that.

I walked up to the doors of the school and gave a surrendering sigh. I hate this place. There's absolutely no diversity. It's all gray.

I walked into the building with my head down. I find it best to avoid direct eye contact if I don't feel like getting hit. As I'm walking, I bump into something and fall backwards. I look up to see Joseph. I curse under my breath. He's the second scariest kid at this school behind Phil Lester. I scoot backwards and start collecting my things when I feel a fist connect with my nose. My eyes water from the hit and I can see the blood dripping down my chin. I hold my face with my hands.

"What's wrong, Fag? The color of your blood doesn't match your flower crown?" Joseph said, standing up.

I didn't answer as I unwillingly wiped the blood on my pastel purple jumper.

Joseph grabbed my hair, making me face him.

"I believe I asked you a question." He said as he gripped my hair harder, making me wince.

"I-I-I.." I started, but then I was thrown back down to the floor, my head hitting it very hard as I groaned. He picked my head up again and I saw his fist coming to my face, but that's all I remembered before things went black.

I woke back up, still on the floor with Joseph now on top of me, punching my ribs.

"Joseph! Get the hell off of him!" I heard a voice say. I couldn't make out who it was because my ears were ringing from the pain.

I felt Joseph get off of me, but then I heard a loud sound of lockers bashed. I slowly looked towards the direction of the sound and I couldn't believe my eyes. Phil Lester, the scariest kid in school, was holding Joseph up by the throat against the lockers.

"Are you going to leave him alone now?" Phil said, his jaw clenched.

Joseph nodded and Phil dropped him on the floor and gave him a good kick in the ribs. He then slowly made his way towards me. I crouched over, bracing for impact.

"Hey, are you alright?" Phil said, crouching down to my level, putting a hand on my back.

My eyes widened. He was right there in front of me. I tried to sit up, but groaned from the pain and retreated back to the floor.

"I-I-I" I started, but tears flooded my eyes from pain and embarrassment.

I felt so weak. I felt like I couldn't stand up for myself and I started balling in the middle of the hallway.

Phil sighed and grabbed my flower crown that fell off my head.

"Come here, let me help you." He said as he scooped me up. I wasn't in any position to protest, but it made me feel weaker. I cried harder and Phil took me into the bathroom and locked the door, setting my on the counter. He got a wet paper towel and started dabbing my cuts and bloody nose and forehead.