Chapter Twelve

TW: Mentions of alcohol, homophobia, and "almost violence"..?

*Dan's P.O.V.*

It's been a few days since Phil and I officially made up. And within those few days, my dad decided he'd stay in town a bit longer. I'm not sure how to feel. I'm honestly not excited or flattered. I understand that he's trying, but he makes my mum and I feel extremely uncomfortable when he's in the house. Mum suggested that he could stay in a hotel, but he declined because he 'Wants to see his son as much as possible.' I appreciate his efforts, but he really isn't doing anything besides stress both me and my mum out. Thankfully, I have an escape- Phil. If it weren't for him, I would have gone completely mad. I still have to tell my dad that I don't want to attend that boarding school, and to be honest, I'm scared to, but I know that I have to tell him soon or he'll sign the papers and I'll be shipped off to God knows where.

It was last period and Phil was waiting for me at his car.

"Hey, Bear. Ready to go?" He asked, pecking my forehead and opening my door for me.

I nodded and got in. We got some sneers at the forehead kiss, but we didn't pay them any mind. We began the usual ride back to my house.

"Bear, you okay? You just seem really... Detached." Phil said.

"My dad is staying longer and I still have to tell him I don't want to go to a boarding school and I'm scared."

He raised an eyebrow.

"Dan, you know if you want, I could do it with yo-"

"No, I don't want you anywhere near him. He can turn violent very quickly. I can't expose you to someone like that. He's too overbearing." I said quickly.

"I love you, Dan. But the offer still stands. If things don't work out and he does get violent, call me and I'll come get you." He said, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze.

I nodded in response and we got to my house.

"Call you later, okay?" Phil said, kissing my cheek before I got out.

"Absolutely. Love you!" I said, shutting the door and waving at him.

"Love you too." He said with a small smile playing on his lips.

I walked inside and saw my mum sitting at the kitchen table with her head in her hands. I closed the door and the sound snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Mum, you okay?" I asked.

She looked up and just sighed and pointed to the liquor cupboard in the kitchen. I looked at it and found it completely empty.

Oh no.

Dad found the liquor.

"Where is he, then?" I asked.

She just shrugged and rubbed her temples.

"I presume getting more of it." She said, looking down.

"What are we supposed to do if he comes back drunk?" I asked, standing next to her.

"He used to just come home and pass out, so that's probably what's going to happen, hopefully." She answered, "I've got to head back to work, so just stay in your room if he comes back and keep your door locked. He may not even come home. If he does, just don't even speak with him. If he gets rough, call me or the police or someone after you've removed yourself from the situation, okay?" She said, locking eyes with me.

I could tell she didn't want to leave me all alone, but there wasn't much choice. Her job was extremely strict and weren't very lenient on "sick days".