Chapter Eleven

*Phil's P.O.V.*

My heart was pounding with anticipation. Where was Dan wanting to take me and why must we go at four in the morning?

But, I went merrily with him. As we got into my car, Dan blew into his hands. I took them into mine and rubbed them so they warm up, then kissed them softly.

I started the car and began driving, following the directions Dan gave to me.

"Okay, make a right he- No, No! Not here, your other right!" He said laughing as I turned around and began driving down the actual path.

"Pull over here, under that tree." He said, pointing at a huge oak tree. Even though it was dark, it was quite obvious that it was a humongous tree.

I unbuckled myself, then turned to Dan. He was staring at his hands.

"Hey, Bear. You okay?" I asked, cupping one of his cheeks.

"R-Remember when I told you about Charlie?" He asked, biting his lip nervously.

I nodded, confused, but urging him to continue.

"Well, this was where he..." He drifted off. He looked down at his hand, biting his lip.

I grabbed his hands and kissed them.

"Bear, if you aren't ready to face this again-" I started, but he kissed me.

"I'm ready. As long as I'm with you the whole time." He said sheepishly.

"I won't leave your side."

We got out of the car and he instantly grabbed my hand. The sun was about to rise. The sky was a combination of the deepest reds to the softest purples. It was too beautiful to explain. I stood still for a few moments, appreciating the beauty of the colors. I admired the way they swirled in complicated patterns. I looked to Dan, but he wasn't admiring the array of colors. Instead, he was looking at me.

"What are you looking at?" I asked, my cheeks flushing with color.

"Something that's the most beautiful creation of nature on this planet." He said without missing a beat.

I kissed him passionately. We smiled while kissing and he laughed. I swear to God, there's nothing better than kissing the laugh of the one you love most.

He pulled away, out of breath.

"C'mon. We can continue later. I wanna take you to the cliffs."

We climbed up the massive rocks. I don't know why he brought me here, but I feel like I can understand Dan's past pain here. That sounds a bit strange, but Dan is my priority and I want to understand all he's been through. Maybe I will never be able to fully understand exactly what he went through, but I can at least try.

We finally made it to the top of the biggest one. Dan stood silently, looking down. I couldn't hear him due to the sharp winds, but by the way his shoulders were rising and falling heavily, I could tell he was breathing shakily.

"Hey, baby, calm down. I'm right here. Shhh." I said, taking him into my arms and kissing the top of his head.

"This is wh-where he..." He said, tears escaping his eyes.

I sat down and pulled him into my lap.

"When- When we had that fight and stopped talking, I-I felt empty again- Numb. I n-need you, Phil." He said, letting out a heavy breath.

"Bear, look at me, baby. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. Nothing is going to tear us apart again, okay? Not parents, or assholes at school, or insecurities- nothing. I won't let it happen again. I need you too." I said, rocking him in my lap, "Dan, you've got galaxies between your ears. You're too special to let go of."