Three

"Professor Ozpin?" The man peered through his glasses at his colleague, raising a single eyebrow as he waited for her to continue. "It appears that some students have been cornered at the temple ruins and are in danger, should we intervene?"

He said nothing as he watched the battle on his scroll, "No, they'll be just fine." The blonde woman stared at him with wide eyes as he sipped his coffee, but when he didn't revoke his statement she sighed and walked back to the building. He never took his focus from the fight, from the two girls battling huge numbers of Grimm, one of them he recognised as Hugh Thyme's daughter, so she had made it after all.

He'd just have to see how they did.

***

"TEAL!" Rain yelled again, she hadn't moved from the top of the hill, she was frozen in a state of disbelief. Navi didn't know what to do, so she quietly approached her partner and placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, Rain's head twisted to the side and delirious purple eyes met her blue ones.

"Rain, calm down, and we'll go help them." Tears threatened to fall from those plum maelstroms, but the girl exhaled and gave an apologetic smile to the brunette, then nodded and unlatched the axe from its sheath on her back. "Good, let's go."

They ran full pelt towards the ruins and the horde of Grimm, a few Beowolves caught onto their scent and howled before separating from the rest and charging towards them, gearing up to attack the girls they reared up on their hind legs, exposing their soft underbellies perfectly. Rain smirked and slowed her pace so she could get a steady shot, then fired round after round into the creatures. With a pained howl they fell, causing the girls to dart all over the place in order to avoid them, but Rain didn't stop shooting until they were all nothing but black scraps being carried away on the wind.

After the Beowolves had been wiped out Rain paused to reload, taking a glance across the clearing as she did, Teal and a blonde girl she hadn't seen before were balanced on the broken columns of the ruins, firing and slicing at any Grimm who attempted to attack.

They were in danger obviously, and despite herself Rain couldn't help but panic about her blue haired friend, she knew full-well that the girl was capable; she wasn't alone either, so her odds were looking good. But all rational thoughts were drowned by the fear that gripped her, and the thought of anything happening whilst she wasn't there to help was something she didn't need right now.

A growl from behind her made Rain freeze, slowly, she looked around and came face to face with one of the biggest Ursai she'd ever seen. It loomed over her and roared, but she stood firm and with trembling hands tried to reload her weapon.

She was too focused on her task to notice the shadow that grew around her as the creature brought a massive paw down to crush her, it was less than two feet above her head when she looked up and her eyes grew wide in fear. She stood petrified as it came closer, her mind was telling her to move but her legs wouldn't respond.

Suddenly there was a bang somewhere nearby and the shadow was gone, Rain snapped out of her trance to see that the paw had been completely obliterated; she looked to the Ursa and saw that it was held stiff, twitching occasionally. Then it fell forward and she was only just able to roll out of the way in time before it crashed into the ground, a dark cobalt dagger was protruding from the back of its neck and gripping the base with one hand, holding a smoking pistol in the other, was Navi.

She hopped off the back of the now disintegrating Ursa and called out an apology as she tried to yank her dagger from the creature. Rain walked over and removed the weapon with ease, handing it to her partner with a smile, "You don't have to apologise, you just saved my life." The brunette looked down to the ground and mumbled a small 'thank you' before a cry rang out from the temple, setting off alarm bells in both their heads.