Nine

The next day was a Saturday, so the students at Beacon Academy were free to do what they liked, within reason, and so the eight of them, unlike most other days, were not all in the same place.

Rain and Hemlock had gone into Vale first thing in the morning for one reason or another, they had been very vague on the details, and would probably be gone all day, so the rest of them had to occupy their time until they returned. The remaining six were sat in the dining hall during breakfast discussing what to do over plates of bacon sandwiches and pastries.

"So," Buck said as he swallowed what must have been his third Full English, "What do we do whilst 'The Great Green Grinch' is out?"

"I don't know about you guys but I was thinking of going to the Faunus club that Professor Oobleck has today."

"Oh yeah I forgot about that, I'll come with you if you want buddy?"

Before Rao could answer that question however, Wynter had an idea and cut into the conversation. "Actually, I think Navi should go with you, she's interested in Faunus history." The boy blushed and stared intently at his plate.

"Y-yeah, well if she wants to of course I mean she doesn't have to it's not like-OW!" He stopped rambling and growled at Buck, the boy shrugged and spoke calmly.

"Dude you're mumbling," He stood and pulled Rao up from his seat as Navi stood from hers, then gave him a shove that sent him stumbling forward towards the door, the boy sent him a glare, but continued to walk with Navi anyway, and soon they had left the building. Buck sat down again and continued to eat, "I'd call that a success."

"Yeah if we don't find you dead tomorrow." Cherry laughed so hard she almost fell off the bench, and Teal had to pull her back up before she actually did. When the girl composed herself she cleared her throat and spoke.

"Well I have an idea, but I'll need all your help." The three students nodded, intrigued about this plan of hers, "Good now, we need bread, cans, a couple of turkeys and whatever else you can find laying around in here, get as much as you can and meet me in the training halls in ten."

"Anything else cap'n?" She rolled her eyes and leaned closer, the rest of them doing the same so they sat huddled like they were having some sort of secret meeting.

"Watermelons. Lots of them."

***

"Ah yes yes welcome Faunus students of Beacon! Please help yourself to refreshments and get comfortable! This classroom belongs to you now! Well not literally because even I don't own this classroom but you know what I mean yes? Good! Mmm? Yes you're correct..." Once Oobleck finally stopped spouting greetings Navi and Rao took their seats in the corner of the classroom and proceeded to sit in awkward silence.

"So I'm going to grab a drink, you want anything?" Navi shook her head, but did her best to smile at the boy politely, to her surprise he turned away without returning the gesture, did she do something wrong? She didn't think so. If only Navi had seen the colour of the boy's face before he had turned away.

He returned with a plastic cup and a bone shaped biscuit in hand, and sat beside her again, crunching another biscuit. "Sorry if you were forced to come, I would have come alone but like I didn't really know what to expect and it's always good to have a friend am I right?" She didn't say anything, she just nodded, and the boy sighed. "Am I talking too much? I get told by Buck that I tend to ramble a bit and then I just get caught up with whatever I was trying to say in the first place and-"

He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Navi looking at him with her soft eyes, he exhaled and smiled at her, then she spoke very quietly, "I don't mind."