Fourteen

Wynter curled up in the maroon armchair as she looked around, the room she sat in had not changed for as long as she could remember, and despite being very large, though she always remembered it being bigger, it felt cosy to her.

"Here we go," A slight woman with lilac curls handed Wynter a steaming cup and sat opposite to the girl on the sofa. The woman smiled as she watched the girl cradle the cup in her hands, inhaling its aroma before taking a sip, Wynter hummed in satisfaction.

"You need to teach me how to make this, it's so good," She placed the cup on a small table to her right and smiled. "How have you been mum?"

The woman chuckled, the corners of her eyes wrinkling in response, "Now now, I'm sure you have much more interesting stories to tell," Wynter shrugged, "How is Beacon?"

Brightly coloured images flashed through Wynter's mind, they blurred through red, pink, purple, green, until it paused on a long blue plat. "Beacon is everything I imagined, it's almost mythical," Her mother smiled as she gushed about the school.

"Good, am I right to assume you have a partner? A team?"

"Oh right yeah, well my partner is called Teal," She paused to check for a look of approval from her mother, the woman simply beamed, "And we're part of a team called, confusingly enough, WNTR, which I am the leader of." She couldn't help but sit a little taller as she said that, up until now she hadn't properly stopped to think about it.

She was a leader, in charge of a group of huntresses, her friends, who by her account were far more skilled than she, and yet it was she who had been selected to lead them, to keep them safe in combat. To protect their very lives.

"Oh my dear that's wonderful!" Wynter was spared from her spiralling thoughts by the lilac haired woman, who stood and guided Wynter to her feet, embracing the girl in a warm hug. "And your classes? They're going well?" She nodded and her mother let go, keeping her hands on her shoulders, green eyes looking into her own, "He is very proud, I'm sure."

Wynter nodded again, her smile dulling slightly at the thought of her father. Thankfully, her mother provided a distraction from the tears welling in her eyes by switching the radio on as she walked into the kitchen. Wynter sat down again and picked up a book to her left, she began to read, not paying much attention to the voices in the background as the hours passed by.

"Breaking News from Vale city centre," Wynter focused slightly more intently on the radio, as she turned another page of her book, "Reports of gunshots coming from the roof of the Communications tower, the cause has yet to be investigated," She closed her book and gave the radio her full attention, "Witnesses say two teenagers, a girl with purple hair and a young man, jumped out of a window on the 15th floor before escaping to the roof..."

She didn't bother listening to the rest of the report as she grabbed Cassepine from where it leaned against a coat rack and bolted for the door, she had one hand on the handle when she turned and called behind her, "Mum I've got to go do something I'll see you in a bit."

"Alright dear be-" There was a slam as the door shut behind Wynter, and the woman could see her through the kitchen window, running down the street with Cassepine at the ready. "Careful."

***

"What the heck is Rain doing here?" Rao yelled at the TV screen, earning the five of them a glare from the receptionist. Navi looked at the screen, then the doors to the library, and began to walk towards them.

"And how did she manage to get in trouble before us, with Hemlock of all people?" Cherry added as the group followed Navi outside the library and into the sunlit street, causing a few of them to squint and shield their eyes as they adjusted to the light.