Ten

Navi walked back into her room expecting to get straight to sleep while she was still in a good mood, unfortunately that wasn't the case.

"TEAL I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?"

"WELL MAYBE I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP! HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT?!"

"YES I HAVE AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I WENT TO VALE!"

"JUST STOP! STOP THIS, STOP BELITTLING ME JUST TO MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE THE GOOD SAMARITAN!" Wynter saw the hand on Teal's shoulder, and the arm placed across her torso like she was subconsciously trying to hold herself back.

"I AM NOT! You know what? I'm done, goodnight." And those were the last words spoken before the lights went out and the room became as dark as the mood.

Hours later Wynter awoke feeling cold, and from the corner of her eye she saw the curtains flapping in a breeze, she swung her legs out of bed and tip-toed towards the window. It was wide open, and she closed it again with a huff, she was about to head back to bed and the embrace of sleep when she took a glance towards the door. There was no-one there.

For most teams, this would have been normal; maybe even relieving for those who were horror film enthusiasts. But then most teams were normal, and didn't contain a member who sat wide awake by the door every night. Wynter looked from the spot to the window and back again, then flung the window open and almost threw herself out as she leaned forward. They were several stories above the ground, aura or no aura there was no way she'd have made it, so she twisted her head to look up, the roof wasn't visible, but she was willing to bet that's where she would find her partner.

She brought a knee up to her chest and placed her bare foot on the window ledge, then the other, so she was perched like a large bird. Then held a shaky left hand out towards the tree in front of her, the leaves rustled and several tiny vines broke through the bark, twisting together to form one large vine that creaked as it grew closer to Wynter. She closed her hand into a fist when the plant was within jumping distance and it froze, then she took a deep breath and used the window frame to bring herself to a hunched standing position, then pushed off the ledge.

Wynter landed wobbly on the vine but managed to stay on, she looked up towards the roof and raised her hand, using the vine as an elevator she was brought up until her head was level with the very top of the dorm building. The plant came to a stop once more and she climbed up, using the top of another dorm's window and a handy drain pipe as footholds.

The world was illuminated by a dim grey light from the moon as she scrambled onto the roof, Wynter almost fell face first due to a ledge she couldn't see as she stumbled about with her hands in front of her. "Teal!" She whisper-yelled, listening for any response, she didn't realise how close she was to falling at least twelve floors to her doom until hands grasped her shoulders and led her backwards away from the edge.

She was spun around and the hands gently pushed her to a sitting position, when her eyes adjusted to the gloom she could see a faint silhouette standing in front of her, the figure moved and she heard a clicking sound before she was bathed in a soft glow. The figure turned out to be Teal, and she was holding a small torch, Wynter took a look around and saw that she was sat near, but not life-risking close, to the edge of the roof, overlooking the courtyard at the entrance of the school.

There was something darkly beautiful about Beacon at night, the tower was illuminated in a ghostly blue glow, like it wasn't even there, and the water reflected the broken moon in all its pale glory. The whole place looked like something from a fairy tale, befitting for a school built to train huntresses, legendary warriors whose purpose was to defend the world from the forces of darkness. She smiled to herself, memories of her younger self gazing up in wonder as her father told wondrous tales of his adventures and of the mystical school itself.