Thirteen

It was the last day of term, and after classes had finished Vale was treated to the company of both teams BRCH and WNTR at the same time. The group of students walked down one of the main streets, laughing and chatting excitedly.

"I can't believe it! So we get two whole weeks off school?" Teal was skipping backwards in front of the group, her course being adjusted every so often by Rain in order to prevent any collisions.

"Yup, you're pretty excited about this aren't you?" Buck stretched and leaned back so much Wynter was surprised he didn't fall flat on his back. Teal answered the question with a nod, the long blue ponytail behind her swaying with the motion.

"So," Cherry said after finishing a debate with Hemlock about the state of her boots, which she liked to think she'd won, "As much as I'd like to wander this city aimlessly forever, Buck and I need to go to the Armouries."

Wynter seemed to suddenly remember why she was there and added, "And I was going to pay a visit, thanks for the reminder!" Her final words were yelled as she ran ahead towards the residential district, turning left at the closest junction and disappearing from view.

There was a short silence as the group stood staring in the direction the blonde had run off. Hemlock sighed and adjusted his tie, "Well if we're all splitting up, I'm going to the library, I have something I want to investigate." He then turned and headed towards the city centre, and the grand structure that could just be seen from their location.

"I guess we'll see you guys later then." Cherry gave Teal, Rao and Navi a small wave as she began to leave with her brother.

"H-Hey wait!" The pink haired girl spun round, "You can't just leave me to be a third wheel!" The looks on the two Faunus' faces made Cherry snicker, but rather than invite Teal to join her, she shrugged and ran off, dragging Buck along by the wrist.

Realising that it was useless to chase after them, Teal sighed and turned, finding herself facing Rao with a comical frown on his features. "Heh, sorry, you guys aren't that bad."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well I'm just saying it could be worse."

"What could be worse? We don't-"

"Rao she's messing with you," The boy's ears twitched as Navi chuckled, "She's trying to wind you up."

"Yeah! Because you look funny when your face is all red and your ears do this thing where they flop in different directions, they also twitched just now, I wonder why..."

Rao tensed, when Cherry wondered something she always knew what it was beforehand, and just brought it up to annoy others. But one look at Teal told him that she was not doing that, instead she was actually wondering about his ears, and he relaxed.

A warm breeze blew past them, carrying the smell of pizza from a street nearby; Rao straightened his back and held his nose in the air, inhaling deeply. "Man I'm really hungry right now."

Navi had to stop herself from laughing at his less than subtle hint; she turned to Teal, who gave her an eager nod without being asked a question. "I take it you guys want pizza?" Her two companions gave a look of mock surprise.

"How did you know?" Teal said, the shocked expression lasting only a few seconds before she burst into a giggle and bolted towards the source of the smell. Navi sighed and followed behind, her stomach rumbling at the thought of food.

***

As Hemlock stepped into the library he was greeted with the fragrance of old books and polished wood, and as he walked to the archives he reminisced about the many hours he spent in here, hiding away.